Made in Chelsea Raffles

Inside Raffles nightclub where all the Made in Chelsea drama goes down

One guy managed to spend £40,000 on drinks in one visit

When Made in Chelsea first sauntered onto our screens in 2011, the first episode revolved around one allegedly high end event: Amber Atherton’s jewellery launch at Raffles nightclub on the King’s Road. Caggie Dunlop literally got driven there in a Rolls Royce. Ollie Locke was stuck taking names on the door. Hugo and Spencer rocked up late in what looked like sixth form blazers and slicked back Mafia-esque hair. The vibes were confusing and over a decade later, Raffles is still where all of the Made in Chelsea drama goes down.

So, in case you’re wondering why Yas is getting shade for snogging Miles in Raffles and why Lily claims “everyone sees everything in there”, here’s everything you need to know about the Chelsea members’ club that spawned a thousand cheating rumours:

Okay, so, what actually even is Raffles?

Essentially, Raffles is one of the oldest nightclubs in London, squeezed inside a three-story Chelsea townhouse. The members’ club has been attracting celebrities and royalty ever since it first opened in 1967 and currently membership fees sit at £500 per year with a £250 one off joining fee or lifetime membership for £2500. Not. Cheap.

Inside, the aesthetic has turned significantly more Instagram-esque than late-sixties inspired. There are feature walls with neon slogan lights, zig-zag floors, pink suede booths and a humungous disco ball. For entertainment, they often have surprise DJs like David Guetta, Guy Gerber and (genuinely every other week) Alex Mytton.

If music wasn’t enough to deal with, in November, Raffles also hosts something called the Raffles Rumble, which is essentially your uni Fight Night on steroids. MIC men Jamie Laing, Spencer, and Tristan Phipps have all, inevitably, been roped in as fighters in the past.

What kind of people go on nights out to Raffles?

As you can imagine, Raffles has always been filled with the South West London, home counties, crowd. Princess Margaret, Princess Anne, Prince Charles, Kate Middleton, Prince William, Prince Harry, Eddie Redmayne and even Usaine Bolt all went on nights out there. Plus, obv, Spencer Matthews,  Jamie Laing, Sophie Habboo, Emily Blackwell, Reza, Sam Prince, Toff, and any other MIC cast members you can think of, have at one point or another walked through the door.

In the last few years, though, actual royalty has been somewhat swapped for reality TV royalty and nepo babies as celebs who’ve been spotted at Raffle’s now include: Gary Lineker’s son George, Kate Moss’ sister Lottie, TikTok’s Olivia Neill, Maya Jama and Lucinda from Love Island.

And just how hard really is it to get into Raffles?

Obviously, on paper, this place is still a members’ club. And, if someone you know has forked out the joining fee, then they can bring two people along for the ride. But, if you rock up unannounced on the door, buying a table for the night will set you back by (at least) about £500 and you minimum spend will be £1,000.

If you don’t (for obvious reasons) fancy doing that, then what most South London girlies do is get themselves on the guest list by talking to a promoter or partner at the club on Instagram. Then, you just need to be there by 11.30pm (the place is dead until at least midnight) and pay £20 to get inside. Cloak room is £2 but at the bar is where prices start to get scary.

Will I ever financially recover from buying a drink at Raffles?

Raffles is open until 5am so, if you’re in it for the long haul, you’ll want enough drinks to keep you oblivious to the hoards of guys wearing Ralph Lauren caps attempting to make small talk before shoving their tongue down your throat. But, we regret to inform you, the drinks prices are insane. Like, two cocktails will set you back around £60. So, probs just pre drink at home, because, a night out at Raffles is fun— just not fun enough to blow your yearly budget on.

Even people who can normally afford expensive menus are shook by the bills they walk away with from Raffles. Sam Thompson once spent £24,000 in one visit while another anonymous banker famously spent over £40,000 during one night out in 2012 by ordering ten humungous bottles of vintage champagne, magnums of Dom Perignon and Krug rose, Don Julio 1942 tequila, Havana rum and 16 cafe patrons. His total came to £34,861.50 and the service was £5,229.23. Ouch.

made in chelsea raffles

Sam Thompson and James Dunmore in Raffles via SWNS