Harry and Meghan complained their first royal home was ‘too small’ but it sounds stunning

It used to be Harry’s bachelor pad lol

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry joked in a new episode of their Netflix documentary that their first royal home, Nottingham Cottage, was too small inside and not what people would expect from a property in palace grounds.

The couple lived inside Nottingham Cottage, a grace and favour home in the grounds of Kensington Palace before they got married in 2018. They then later moved to Frogmore Cottage in Windsor.

In episode four, Prince Harry and Meghan said the reality of living in Nottingham Cottage “sounds like a palace” but it wasn’t for them. Harry says: “As far as people were concerned, we were living in a palace. And we were in a cottage.” Meghan then stepped in to clarify it was “in palace grounds.” Is it just me or does this sound not bad whatsoever?

Meghan says Kensington Palace sounds very regal, but Nottingham Cottage was “so small.” Harry then detailed it, claiming it had “low ceilings” and he apparently hit his head constantly because he’s so tall.

But what is Nottingham Cottage and the drama surrounding it?

So Nottingham Cottage is owned by the Crown itself rather than being privately held by the monarch like other royal properties including Balmoral. Prince William has also lived in Nottingham Cottage, and it’s been reported before he had problems with low ceilings.

The cosy two-bedroom home is also known as “Nott Cott” by the royal family. Other previous tenants include Marion Crawford – the Queen’s late nanny.

Nottingham Cottage, Prince Harry, Meghan Markle

via Netflix

In the Harry and Meghan documentary they shared some more pictures of Nottingham Cottage inside and it’s literally stunning. They’ve got a gorgeous garden and a shed too plus what looks like a really nice living room.

via Netflix

Nottingham Cottage has a reception room designed by Sir Christopher Wren, one of Britain’s most highly acclaimed architects.

via Netflix

The cottage stands near Ivy Cottage and Wren Cottage. It’s been home to Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester and his wife Princess Anne, Duchess of Gloucester. Will and Kate also lived there with George after his birth before moving into Kensington Palace. Prince Harry moved into it in 2013 and deemed it his “bachelor pad” after leaving the arm. It’s where he proposed to Meghan too in the kitchen and lived before she gave birth to Archie.