MAFS UK’s Amy accuses Sophie and Adrian of allowing body shaming comments on a live

‘I would have thought the MAFS family would know better by now’

Amy Christophers, Marilyse Corrigan and Johnathan Wileman have accused Sophie and Adrian from MAFS UK of allowing body shaming comments on their Instagram live – Sophie and Adrian have responded saying they would never have willingly done so.

On her Instagram story, Marilyse shared a screenshot of a nasty comment from the live that said Johnathan’s much publicised comments about what body shapes he’s attracted to are at odds with his attraction to Amy. Marilyse said “Really sad to witness an Instagram live last night between two cast members whilst the comments were body shaming / belittling @thatsportsspice (Amy) and the comments were left on!

“I would have thought the ‘MAFS family’ would know better by now. Shame on all involved. Amy is beautiful inside and out. She’s a curvy, petite young woman who inspires lots of girls and isn’t and shouldn’t be ashamed of her body.”

Amy then reposted Marilyse’s story, thanking her and saying: “Really sad to get sent screen recordings of the comments and lots of unsolicited opinions and comments on my shape, body and weight. I’ll be addressing this properly at a later stage.”

Amy then added in another story: “Sophie is a beautiful girl. I have no ill feelings against her, as I hope she doesn’t for me. It’s a shame as another curvy girl who also received negative comments about size she didn’t stand in solidarity and shut the comments down straight away.”

Sophie responded on her Instagram story with a video, saying: “I am not one to comment on situations that much, but when it’s about body image I absolutely will be there. I was made aware of some comments made on lives, and no one should have to go through that. I know exactly how it feels which makes it worse. I was called chubby and fat throughout the show. Whatever someone’s intentions were, there was a conversation around my body type on the show. I’ve had that backlash and I know how it feels.

“It’s a very painful thing to have to deal with, and it’s a very sensitive topic. I don’t condone any behaviour that’s aimed towards anyone, anyone that comments on someone’s body online is horrific. Who is anyone to comment on anyone’s size? It’s so difficult, because there was a situation where someone said what their preferences were and now that’s being used where people are compared and people’s body sizes are talked about. I never wanted to be a part of that.

“I would never want anything like that near or on my page, I like to have a positive platform. Body image is something very sensitive to a lot of people and should not be talked about.”

Adrian also responded on his story, saying: “I’m not exactly sure what was said, it was in the comments on the live. I’ve asked for screen recordings so I’m able to see who said it and I can block them from Instagram. I wish Marilyse had told me at the time so I would have been able to shut it down.

“I will never condone this hate online, and I hope we can continue to be kind in the future.”

Other MAFS UK contestants have commented on the situation, including Gemma and Thomas – but one significant post has come from Johnathan, who Sophie was married to on the show and who in the Christmas reunion seemed romantically interested in Amy.

Johnathan said on his story about the Sophie and Adrian MAFS UK Instagram live drama: “After the cringefest that was the MAFS Christmas special, I thought I’d address the shitshow of comments that have followed and were also made throughout the series.

MAFS UK Sophie Adrian live

“The behaviour of some people and particularly the comments made after last night’s show have been nothing short of disgusting. My original comments about my preferences were just that. They were never directed at any individuals at all within the series. Neither were they being negative about any body type. They were simply a personal preference.

“What one person finds attractive, another may not – whether that be physical, emotional or personality. Both Sophie and Amy are beautiful women – neither deserving of the vile comments directed at them.

“The hypocrisy of some people following the airing of the shows has been disgraceful.

For more MAFS UK drama and all the latest Married at First Sight UK memes, tweets, gossip and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.