Reason Gemma Owen went on Love Island

Gemma reveals she went on Love Island because she didn’t qualify for a dressage contest

Loool you’ve got to rate the honesty

Gemma Owen has revealed the real reason she went onto Love Island, and like many former Islanders, it was not for love. The daughter of footballing legend Michael Owen, said she signed up for Love Island after she realised she would not qualify for the 2022 European dressage championships.

Gemma admitted she hoped to land work opportunities off the back of the show. Speaking to The Times, she said: “There can be a stigma when you do a show like Love Island. But there are amazing opportunities too if you can just be yourself. I wanted to do it, but only if I could just be me: plain-spoken and real. I am good at not showing my feelings if I have to.”

via Instagram @gemowen_1

Gemma was a runner-up on Love Island 2022 and left the villa with her now ex-boyfriend, Luca Bish. Gemma and Luca split up after almost three months together after their relationship became strained. Gemma told her followers their breakup “wasn’t an easy decision”, but what was best for them. A source close to the couple said: “They hope to remain friends and will continue to support each other in everything they do going forward. Love Island was a special time in their lives but sadly their romance hasn’t felt the same outside of the villa.”

The former Islander has also confirmed she will soon have her own reality TV show alongside Michael Owen. Gemma said: “I got to watch watch up close how my dad handled things when football finished. Normal and grounded is good. Success can quickly change or fade. Family, friends and me, for me, horses, are forever.”

For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.