hourglass Paragon cult The Midnight Club

This is what the the hourglass symbol means in The Midnight Club on Netflix

I can’t stop thinking about this show!! Help

Mike Flanagan’s latest series, The Midnight Club, dropped on Netflix last week and its got loads of people talking. One question we all have is about the hourglass and why it’s so important to the Paragon Cult. So here’s absolutely everything you need to know about the hourglass and Paragon Cult in The Midnight Club on Netflix.

What is the Paragon Cult in The Midnight Club?

Brightcliffe Manor, the hospice, used to be home to a cult called the Paragons. It was a group of people who dedicated themselves to discovering how to wield power over life and death. As a result, the manor and surrounding areas have been covered with hourglass symbols – the main one being in the basement where the rituals took place. Here’s why the hourglass symbol is so important though.

What does the hourglass symbol mean in The Midnight Club?

The Midnight Club cast Netflix

via Netflix

The hourglass symbol is at the heart of the Paragon cult. It’s a traditional symbol of death because the grains of sand inside represent the time of moments passing by. However the Paragon hourglass is different because it’s blacked out at the top meaning death is coming and it’s falling into life. The cliffhanger ending reveals a Doctor Stanton has the hourglass tattooed onto the back of their neck too!!

The hourglass can also be found in the centre of a sacred circle in Brightcliffe’s hidden basement. Some Paragons also have tattoos of the hourglass which viewers can guess they received as part of a ritual in the cult. Ilonka experiences the “hourglass effect” as she often gets disturbing visions of Brightcliffe from the past.

The Midnight Club is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.