the crown best episodes

These are the top 10 best ever episodes of The Crown, according to IMDb

The Crown is back in the top 10 on Netflix

Following the death of her majesty Queen Elizabeth II last week, the drama series based on her life, The Crown, has gone back into the top 10 on Netflix, with loads of viewers rewatching the best episodes which focus on her life.

Buckingham Palace announced the Queen had died peacefully in Balmoral on Thursday last week, in a statement saying: “The Queen died peacefully at Balmoral this afternoon. The King and The Queen Consort will remain at Balmoral this evening and will return to London tomorrow.”

Since her death was announced many people have rushed to Netflix to rewatch episodes of The Crown, the drama series based on the reign of the Queen.

The Crown first came out in 2016 with Claire Foy taking on the role of The Queen for the first two seasons and Olivia Colman taking over in series three. It focuses on The Queen and the Royal Family, as well as what was going on in the United Kingdom during her reign.

There are now 40 episodes of The Crown, with 10 more expected soon with the arrival of season five in November this year, but of all the episodes of The Crown, which is the best?

These are the top 10 episodes of The Crown so far, according to IMDb ratings:

10. Fairytale (season four, episode three)

via Netflix

Rating: 8.7

Kicking off the top 10 is episode three from season four of The Crown, Fairytale, and is one of three episodes in the top 10 to feature Princess Diana.

Fairytale focuses on the relationship between Prince Charles, Diana and Camilla. Prince Charles proposes to Diana and she accepts and is swiftly moved into Buckingham Palace.

Later in the episode Diana has a lunch with Camilla and Princess Margaret warns The Queen and Prince Philip Charles does not love Diana. The episode ends with the wedding of Charles and Diana.

9. War (season four, episode 10)

via Netflix

Rating: 8.8

War is the final episode of season four and focuses on the period of time in which prime minister Margaret Thatcher resigns.

Within the Royal Family Diana takes a solo trip to New York and Camilla tells Charles she is worried about their affair.

Later in the episode the whole family gathers for Christmas, where Diana speaks to Prince Philip and Prince Charles speaks to the Queen about their marriage, both clearly unhappy.

8. Terra Nullius (season four, episode six)

via Netflix

Rating: 8.8

Terra Nullius is an episode halfway through season four of The Crown and sees Princess Diana and Prince Charles travel to Australia as a new Australian prime minister, Bob Hawke, is installed.

Charles and Diana frequently argue and Diana is seen suffering with an eating disorder. Later in the episode the couple go to separate homes when they arrived back in England.

The episode ends with Diana approaching The Queen to discuss her relationship with Charles.

7. Marionettes (season two, episode five)

via Netflix

Rating: 8.9

Marionettes is next up on the top 10 list of The Crown episodes and is from halfway through season two.

In the episode The Queen gives an out of touch speech at the Jaguar factory and she is condemned by Lord Altrincham for her “upper class attitude”.

The episode is essentially a look into the role of the monarchy in a post-war society.

6. Hyde Park Corner (season one, episode two)

via Netflix

Rating: 9

The second episode of the first season of The Crown, Hyde Park Corner, focuses on the death of Elizabeth’s father King George VI.

At the beginning of the episode there are concerns around prime minister Winston Churchill’s health and the deputy prime minister asks the King to convince Churchill to step down.

Later on Elizabeth and Philip are on a tour of Africa when her father dies in his sleep back in England. They return to England for Elizabeth to begin her role as Queen.

5. Assassins (season one, episode nine)

via Netflix

Rating: 9

The top five episodes of The Crown begins with episode nine of season one which focuses on the difficulties in Elizabeth and Philip’s marriage. Philip starts to spend more time away from the palace and the Queen grows closer to her friend Porchey and orders a direct line to him to be installed.

Elsewhere in the episode Churchill grows older and has a portrait commissioned of himself, and by the end of the episode he has decided to resign as prime minister.

4. Dear Mrs. Kennedy (season two, episode eight)

via Netflix

Rating: 9.1

Next up is the episode Dear Mrs. Kennedy from season two in which American president JFK and his wife Jackie Kennedy visit the United Kingdom.

The episode focuses on the relationship between The Queen and Jackie Kennedy who at one point disrespects the Queen at a party. The two later discuss the matter and Jackie Kennedy apologises.

Elsewhere in the episode The Queen intervenes with Ghana when their president is searching for closer ties to the Soviet Union.

3. Vergangenheit (season two, episode six)

via Netflix

Rating: 9.1

Episode six from season two of The Crown focuses on Elizabeth’s uncle The Duke of Windsor who abdicated from the throne.

The episode sees him return to the UK in the hope of working as part of the family again, however, his return coincides with the discovery of classified documents which reveal his link with the Nazi High Command.

Later in the episode the Queen considers forgiving him until Philip convinces her to speak to the Duke’s secretary.

2. Tywysog Cymru (season three, episode six)

via Netflix

Rating: 9.1

The second best rated episode of The Crown is episode six from season three called Tywysog Cymru, which focuses on Charles and his link to Wales.

Whilst studying at Cambridge he is sent to Wales to learn Welsh before he is appointed the Prince of Wales. During his speech he shows his support for Wales which causes friction with his mother.

At the end of the episode he returns to Cambridge and stars in a play after a meeting with his mother does not go well.

1. Aberfan (season three, episode three)

via Netflix

Rating: 9.3

And The Crown episode which has been rated the best on IMDb with a score of 9.3 is season three, episode three “Aberfan” which focuses on the Aberfan disaster.

The episode focuses on the Queen’s decision not to visit Aberfan initially, until she comes under public scrutiny for not doing so.

Aberfan ends with The Queen visiting the village and crying in private at the hymn sung at the children’s funeral.

The Crown is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.