Jedward abolished monarchy

Jedward call for the monarchy to be abolished following the Queen’s death

‘King Charles should hand back the six Irish counties on his visit to Northern Ireland’

Irish pop duo Jedward have called for the abolishment of the monarchy following the death of Queen Elizabeth II. The Queen died on Thursday 8th September 2022 and since then Prince Charles has become King. Following this, the singers published a series of tweets calling for the monarchy to be abolished and have received thousands of likes on their posts.

After tweeting the queen had died, Jedward wrote: “We’re Irish. The country that has been oppressed historically by the monarchy! Please study your history! We haven’t said anything but the facts.” Their tweets have attracted over tens of thousands of likes and retweets. In another post, two days after the death of the Queen, Jedward wrote: “Abolish the monarchy and give the people real democracy!”

Not everyone on Twitter appreciated their sentiment, with one user writing: “Abolish Jedward and give people real music.” However, there were some people who shared their support for Jedward. One Twitter user wrote: “I’m always cheered up by seeing how well you lads turned out. Big respect for your use of your platform.” Jedward didn’t stop there and continued to say: “King Charles should hand back the six Irish counties on his visit to Northern Ireland. No war! Just words! It’s time.”

Despite the hundreds of negative replies to their tweets, Jedward continued to speak on the issues surrounding the monarchy. They wrote: “British Imperialism was the cause of the Irish famine and millions of deaths around the world. We mourn for them. Sincerely, Ireland.”

The pair kept going and wrote: “People in denial about Britain’s imperialist past need to get a grip. Change is hard when your education is a censored version of history.”

Jedward are one of the first major celebrities who have opposed the monarchy in the past few days, along with Phoebe Bridgers. The indie music star shared a post to her Instagram story which said: “Today we mourn all the stolen, violated and traumatised lives who were affected and destroyed during Queen Elizabeth II’s reign.” However, some British reality TV stars and celebrities have been sharing tributes to the late Queen following her death, including Love Island’s Chris Hughes and Gemma Owen.