Winnie the Pooh horror movie

The trailer for the Winnie the Pooh horror movie has dropped, and it’s a lot

Pooh and Piglet literally eat Eeyore

Winnie the Pooh, the beloved children’s classic by A. A. Milne, entered into the public domain earlier this year meaning you no longer have to pay for the rights to use the characters anymore. Whilst Disney still owns some of the rights, including all of the cartoon versions and Pooh’s red top, the original books and characters are now freely available for anyone to adapt into anything they like. And of course, the first thing to come out of it is a horror movie.

Jagged Edge Productions, an indie film company based in the UK, went viral back in May when it released the first images from its film Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey. The first trailer was released on Wednesday, and there is so much to unpack.

It isn’t cute and cuddly

The trailer depicts Pooh and Piglet as animal-hybrid creatures that walk on two feet, rather than the cute, cuddly toys the books did. The writer and director, Rhys Waterfield explained to the Huffington Post that in the movie Christopher Robin would feed Pooh, Piglet and Eeyore, but he essentially abandoned them when he went off to university. The trailer sees Christopher bringing his girlfriend back to the Hundred Acre Wood, only for them to find “feral” animals who have gone on a “rampage”.

In an early still from the trailer, there’s a shot of a grave, and it quickly becomes clear that Pooh and Piglet became so hungry they ate Eeyore to survive. It goes on to show the pair attacking a house where a group of university-aged girls are staying, with one being chloroformed in a hot tub by Pooh and an axe-wielding Piglet beheading another, all undercut by creepy music-box music.

Let’s not even mention how they look

Piglet – tiny, cute Piglet who wouldn’t hurt a fly – has tusks and is a full grown hog now. Both Pooh and Piglet are wearing clothes, and not just the copyrighted red shirt too. Pooh is in a full checked shirt, jeans and braces combo, like a cartoon American farmer from the 50s whilst Piglet appears to be in a boiler suit, which goes quite nicely with the axe.

There isn’t a release date yet

The end of the trailer simply says that the movie is coming soon. Waterfield did say when the first images from the movie were released in May that because of the attention it had got online, they would be taking some more time over the post-production process, which might be why.

Related articles recommended by this writer

Here is where you recognise the cast of Netflix’s Love in the Villa from

These 21 Partner Track memes are almost as good as Ingrid, Tyler and Rachel’s friendship

Everyone on TikTok is talking about National Cinema Day, so what actually is it?