lea michele can't read

Lea Michele has addressed the rumours she can’t read

‘There’s a rumour online that I can’t read or write? It’s sad’

Lea Michele has addressed the rumours she can’t read and write, which have circulated online since 2018.

During an interview with the New York Times about her upcoming appearance on Broadway as Fanny Brice in Funny Girl, Lea touched on dealing with the internet and in particular the rumours she can’t read or write.

She said: “I went to ‘Glee’ every single day; I knew my lines every single day. And then there’s a rumour online that I can’t read or write? It’s sad. It really is. I think often if I were a man, a lot of this wouldn’t be the case.”

via Instagram @leamichele

For the last four years people online have been theorising Lea cannot read or write after a 40 minute video was posted on YouTube by someone who presented their evidence as to why they believed she couldn’t read or write.

The video has since been taken down but people on TikTok have been sharing their own conspiracy theories about why they think she cannot read or write.

There are a number of theories as to why people believe Lea is illiterate which range from she was a child actor who had all her lines fed to her, to she never uses her phone and it is actually her assistants who make posts for her on social media.

Up until her interview with the New York Times, Lea has not really touched on the rumours apart from one tweet where she replied to a fan who said she must be laughing at the theory.

Lea quote tweeted them and said: “Loved READING this tweet and wanted to WRITE you back. Literally laughing out loud at all of this.”

Her Twitter has since been deleted but the screenshot has remained online with many people taking it as evidence she addressed the rumours when the video first came out.