Netflix’s next true crime tells chilling story of a mother who killed two of her children

‘It’s unimaginable, what she’s done’

The next true crime to be released on Netflix is a series all about the chilling case of a mother who killed two of her own children. The Sins of Our Mother is coming to Netflix in just a number of days, and tells the awful story.

The Sins of Our Mother is a three-part series, focusing on the case of Lori Vallow. In 2019, two of her young children went missing and a social media storm ensued. Months later their bodies were found and it was their own mother who was under suspicion. Here’s a rundown of the story and what you need to know ahead of the documentary series.

Sins of Our Mother on Netflix

via Netflix

Sins of Our Mother is all about the shocking story of a mother who killed two of her children

Lori Vallow was known to friends and family as a devoted mother of three, a loving wife, and a woman of God. But over the past three years, something went very wrong: Now Lori is in jail, waiting to stand trial for conspiracy to commit murder and first-degree murder in connection with the deaths of her fourth husband, her fifth husband’s wife, and her two youngest children.

Vallow’s children JJ and Tylee were seven and 17 when they went missing in 2019. Lori Vallow and her husband Chad Daybell are charged with first-degree murder in the killing of her two kids. When Vallow met Daybell her ideologies and outlook on life are said to have changed. The harrowing case follows how Vallow came to believe her children were “dark spirits” and the only way to “free” them was to end their lives.

Daybell told Vallow he believed he could “distinguish evil spirits from good spirits”. During the time her children were missing, Vallow attempted to tell the public her children were fine, and it was this failure to comply with authorities that lead to her arrest in 2020. Just months later, the bodies of her children were found buried in Daybell’s back garden. Vallow and Daybell’s trials are due to begin in January 2023.

Sins of Our Mother on Netflix

via Netflix

For the first time, in the Netflix series, Lori’s surviving son Colby steps forward to provide exclusive insight into his family’s backstory as well as their present-tense narrative as Lori faces justice. At the heart of this three-part series is a single burning question: How did a seemingly normal woman become the most notorious mother in America?

Sins of Our Mother is directed by Skye Borgman, who you might know as the person behind other Netflix true crime documentaries such as Abducted in Plain Sight and The Girl in the Picture.

Watch the trailer for Sins of Our Mother on Netflix here:

When Netflix dropped the trailer on YouTube, people jumped to the comments to share their thoughts on the series coming out. “Been waiting for this one! I’ve followed her story from the beginning. It’s unimaginable, what she’s done,” one person said. Another added: “I will never forget this case as long as I live. One of the most bizarre stories I’ve ever heard.”

Sins of Our Mother will be available on Netflix from September 14th. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.