harry styles olivia wilde

Harry Styles and Olivia Wilde have addressed the abuse they face over their relationship

‘I don’t believe the hateful energy defines his fan base at all’

Harry Styles and Olivia Wilde have addressed the online abuse they face over their relationship and detailed the pressure it adds to a relationship.

In an interview with Rolling Stone magazine Harry described how in the early stages of dating someone he has to explain the potential trolling they will receive by being associated with him.

He said: “Can you imagine going on a second date with someone and being like, ‘OK, there’s this corner of the thing, and they’re going to say this, and it’s going to be really crazy, and they’re going to be really mean, and it’s not real.… But anyway, what do you want to eat?’”

Harry went onto call Twitter a “shitstorm of people trying to be awful to people” but also acknowledged this was only a select part of the internet.

He added: “It’s obviously a difficult feeling to feel like being close to me means you’re at the ransom of a corner of Twitter or something. I just wanted to sing. I didn’t want to get into it if I was going to hurt people like that.”

Harry has been dating director Olivia Wilde since early 2021 after she directed him in the upcoming movie Don’t Worry Darling. The two were first photographed together attending a friend’s wedding.

Since their relationship began Olivia has received a large amount of hate and trolling for her relationship with Harry.

via Instagram @oliviawilde

When asked by Rolling Stone how she felt about the trolling Olivia said she understood it wasn’t the majority of the fan base but didn’t understand why some of Harry’s fans were so negative, when it goes against the message Harry puts out.

She said: “What I don’t understand about the cruelty you’re referencing is that that kind of toxic negativity is the antithesis of Harry, and everything he puts out there.

I don’t personally believe the hateful energy defines his fan base at all. The majority of them are true champions of kindness.”

Olivia was previously in a relationship with actor Jason Sudeikis and the pair have two children together who are often spotted with Harry and Olivia.

According to court documents regarding the couple’s custody agreement, Olivia is planning to relocate to London with the two children in late 2023.

Featured image credit via Efren Landaos/Shutterstock and Instagram @oliviawilde