PLT Indiyah Gemma Owen

People are slamming PLT for ‘using’ Indiyah for ‘engagement’ during Love Island

Gemma Owen has been named its latest brand ambassador

Fans and viewers of Love Island have slammed PrettyLittleThing for “using” Indiyah for “engagement” during the show, following the announcement of Gemma Owen’s six-figure brand deal with the fast-fashion company. Gemma has shared her excitement to get started with PLT and said: “This really is a dream come true for me. I wore PrettyLittleThing throughout my time on the show and now being announced as one of their newest ambassadors alongside some incredible talent including Love Island alumni is really special.”

However, since this was announced, fans have been quick to point out that PrettyLittleThing often shared pictures and support for Indiyah during the show and even had followers retweet who they’d prefer to get a brand deal, in which Indiyah received thousands more than Gemma. Those on social media have expressed their disappointment in PLT for heavily tweeting about Indiyah during the show to give the brand deal to somebody else, accusing the brand for using Indiyah for “clout” and “engagement” during the show.

One user said: “This is so nasty, I’m sorry they fully used Indiyah for some engagement”, along with screenshots of two separate tweets from the brand about Gemma and Indiyah having a brand deal. The photo of Indiyah said: “Tweet us using the hashtag #PLTDeal if you think Indiyah would be the perfect PLT Doll”, and Gemma’s, which said: “Retweet if you think Gemma should get the #PLTDeal”. The tweet about Indiyah received over 10,000 likes and 2,000 retweets whilst Gemma’s received 400 likes and 185 retweets.

Another said: “Time to stop shopping here to be honest. They love to use Black women for engagement on this app just to not give them the deals. First with Kaz, now Indiyah. It’s enough.”

A common feeling amongst those on social media is the annoyance of PrettyLittleThing ignoring the opinions it asked for during the show. One user said: “It doesn’t matter if Gemma is the most popular on TikTok, if that’s what they were going for then why would they ask who they think is best suited for them just to disregard people’s opinions. They should’ve hyped Gemma up from the start and not use Indiyah for clout and engagements.”

PrettyLittleThing has declined to comment on this.

For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.