Gemma addresses Luca controversy

Gemma has finally addressed the controversy surrounding Luca on Love Island

Luca was accused of being misogynistic and controlling on the show

Love Island runner up Gemma Owen has addressed the controversy surrounding Luca Bish, whom she was coupled up with for majority of her time in the villa and placed second in the competition with. Gemma recently appeared on Virgin Media’s The Six O’Clock show with Big Brother star Brian Dowling who asked her how she dealt with the scrutiny Luca faced after Love Island.

During the show, Luca’s behaviour was labelled as misogynistic and controlling by viewers. One moment in particular was during the Movie Night episode, which led to Women’s Aid issuing a statement over the behaviour of the boys as well accusations of bullying fellow contestant Tasha Ghouri. Luca’s behaviour even led to his family issuing an apology on his behalf. Luca’s sister, Claudia, said: “I want to apologise on behalf of Luca for his insensitive reaction on last night’s episode. I know that when he watches it back, he will be embarrassed and deeply apologetic.”

Speaking with Gemma, Brian said: “This year there were complaints regarding some of the male contestants, including Luca. How have you reacted to that and that type of scrutiny?”

Gemma replied: “I think viewers only see an hour a day. People are put in different situations than you would see on the outside. People act differently in them types of situations. I think personally it’s unfair to judge someone just off that hour. I think there’s a lot more to it. I think certain actions might have been changed but everyone makes mistakes. You get put in situations in there that no one truly understands unless you’re in there living it. You’ve got to give people the benefit of the doubt.”

Love Island is available on ITVHub. For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.