We’re hiring a Senior Features Writer

Here’s how to apply

The Tab is looking for a Senior Features Writer to join our team and produce compelling, creative and insightful features. This person will be publishing quality stories that drive a significant readership and will be a huge part of The Tab’s pursuit to become the most influential youth media brand in the UK.

About The Tab

The Tab is a news site covering student and youth culture with seven million readers a month. We cover everything from Netflix to politics, as well as dominating uni campuses all over the UK. The Tab is part of Digitalbox Plc – the growing media company behind Entertainment Daily! and The Daily Mash. At The Tab we put young people in charge; the average age is 25 and many staff go on to run their own team within three years.

You’ll join a team of 10 journalists in our London HQ in Shoreditch. The role offers flexible home and office working, and includes a pass to Second Home in Spitalfields, East London, which includes a roof terrace, free yoga, weekly Friday drinks, and plenty of dogs.

Our London office

About you

You will be an experienced features writer who has 1-2 years in a staff reporting or features writing role under your belt. You’ll have a proven track record of writing stories with a big readership. You will have an excellent news sense, the ability to present a story from multiple angles, a drive to tell the untold stories of young people and the confidence to write an opinion piece with personality and flair. Our writers are the experts and you will turn up to work with a bank of creative ideas.

You’ll cover stories that matter to 18-30s; trending stories, longer features that require investigation plus you’ll have the opportunity to lead reporting series, like The Tab’s Do Better Campaign.

You will be a natural leader (experience of editing and mentoring other editorial staff is preferred), as you will manage our Social Media Manager, with the view to be running a small team in the future.

You’ll be writing features like these: 

Four women, 15 months: The case against serial student rapist Charles Goodwin

How Cider became TikTok’s go to brand, despite ‘cultural appropriation’ and ‘stolen’ designs

Beige sofas and inflated egos: What it was really like inside Molly-Mae’s PLT show

A lot of promises were made after Sarah Everard’s death, but what has actually changed?

‘It’s in my Tinder bio’: Meet the women living with herpes and dispelling the myths

‘I wasn’t supported’: Only one in 20 students would report their assault to their uni

‘I was like a carer’: The agonising reality of growing up with an alcoholic parent

If your town has these 23 things then it’s officially considered posh

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by The Tab (@thetab_)

Key responsibilities: 

– Writing three compelling features that are hilarious, original and thought-provoking everyday

– Writing opinion pieces on the news of the day

– Mentoring and managing The Tab’s Social Media Manager

– Developing human-interest investigations and long-reads

– Writing daily news stories covering anything from politics to Netflix to TikTok

– Overseeing editorial campaigns such as The Tab’s Do Better campaign

– Working towards monthly pageview targets as set by the Editor-in-Chief

You must have:

– 1-2 years experience in a staff reporting or features writer role, with some management experience preferred

– A 2.1 degree from a UK university

– Proficiency in Photoshop

– An ambitious storytelling mindset

– Proven experience of prioritising and managing multiple tasks at once

– A demonstratable understanding of social media and trends

– A proven track record of publishing well-read stories

Our London office

The Role

Reporting to: Editor-in-Chief

Salary: Dependent on experience

Start date: ASAP

Working from: London (flexible office working available)

Benefits: 

– Young, sociable and ambitious team

– A mixture of home and office working, and access to our Shoreditch co-working space

– Company MacBook

– Early finishes on a Friday

– 25 holiday days each year

– 24/7 access to doctors via the private WeCare app – for your physical or mental health

After a year in this role, you will:

– Have your stories read and loved by over 10 million people

– Have proudly produced a catalog of in-depth features

– Have overseen at least one editorial campaign that makes a difference in the lives of young people

– Have demonstrated great leadership skills and will be considered for more team-leading and editing responsibilities

To apply:

Email Lydia Venn ([email protected]) with the following:

– Your CV, plus three reasons, with examples, as to why you should get this job

– Three examples of your published features

– Three feature pitches relevant to the day of your application, and how you’d pull them off

The deadline for applications is 23:59, Sunday 21st August