We’re hiring a News Reporter

We’re looking for an ambitious and passionate young journalist to come and break big scoops

New deadline: Sunday 4th September 

We are hiring a News Reporter to join our team and boost our reputation for bold, exclusive reporting.

It’s an opportunity to launch an impressive career by producing big scoops that get noticed, and to work as part of our exciting young team.

Our goal is to be the mouthpiece of young people in the UK. By breaking stories our audience cares about, you’ll be at the forefront of this.

About The Tab

We are a site covering youth and student culture – reaching five million people every month.

We believe young people are overlooked, and we exist to give them a voice. Our coverage includes fighting discrimination and holding authority to account, while at the same time telling you which Netflix shows are worth binging.

We are run by young journalists who like being first – our storytelling is brave, original and entertaining.

You’ll be bringing in news stories just like these:

We spoke to the boys in THIS picture and they’ve had enough of your jokes

Top unis are hiring investigators to deal with students accused of sexual assault

One in three LGBTQ+ students have experienced discrimination and queerphobia at uni

Sharon says she ‘felt like the diversity card’ in the Love Island 2021 villa

We found out the real reason Domino’s has stopped doing half and half pizzas during Covid

Exclusive: Unis could finally be forced to have a legal duty for student mental health

Exclusive: We spoke to the student who created the Binley Mega Chippy song

‘You’d have to get fully naked’: Uni rugby players and footballers on hazing at socials

Dominic Cummings’s family home is now a student house with a vibey basement

Derailed: TikTok train star Francis Bourgeois’ real name is… Luke

All the questions you’ve ever wanted to ask a student sex worker

About you

Above anything else, you’re an ambitious and passionate young journalist, full of ideas on how to cover issues that matter in a bold way, and with a portfolio of stories to prove it.

You have an eye for a story and the tenacity and ingenuity to find leads. If there’s a big scoop on offer, you’ll go all out to get it.

You’re equally comfortable talking to cagey politicians, everyday victims of injustice, and potential contacts in the pub. Whether dealing with reluctant sources, indecipherable spreadsheets, or hostile press offices you can consistently come out with a story.

You’re dedicated to making sure your stories reach a large audience, and are able to juggle, prioritise, and work to targets to make that happen.

Crucially, you’re in tune with students and young people: you have a sixth sense for what they’re worrying about, what gets them angry, and what they want to know more about.

The role

As a News Reporter for The Tab’s national site, you will be responsible for bringing in top-quality scoops, as well as stories every day for thetab.com. This will be a mix of human-led investigations, revealing data stories, jaw-dropping scoops, and quick, punchy write-ups.

Alongside this primary responsibility, you’ll also have a flair for writing takes, fun features, and ideas for other topics covered by The Tab, such as Netflix and pop culture.

You’ll also write regularly for The Tab’s Agenda section and will come up with ideas for original, voice-driven Twitter threads and takes.

Reporting to: Editor-in-Chief

Experience level: Either a graduate, or somebody with one to two years’ experience as a journalist

Salary: Dependent on experience

Start date: ASAP

Working from: London (flexible office working available). It’s a really fun co-working office btw with loads of plants and free drinks on a Friday.

Responsibilities:

– Writing news stories daily for The Tab’s UK site

– Landing scoops that get picked up in the national papers and get noticed by our audience

– Developing human-interest investigations and long-reads

– Send clever FOIs and dig into spreadsheets to find compelling news lines

– Working towards monthly targets as set by the Editor-in-Chief

– Writing stories for other sections of The Tab – features, opinion pieces, Netflix/pop culture – when needed

– Mentoring and editing stories of contributors

In a year’s time:

– Your stories will have been read by millions of people

– You’ll have uncovered conversation-sparking stories that have gone on to be picked up by national papers

Benefits

– Young, sociable and ambitious team

– A mixture of home and office working, and access our Shoreditch co-working space

– Company MacBook

– Early finishes on a Friday

– 25 holiday days each year

– 24/7 access to doctors via the private WeCare app – for your physical or mental health

How to apply

If this job sounds like your dream role and you think you can do it, then apply.

Email Danny Shaw ([email protected]) with the following:

–  A one page CV

– Three examples of your written journalistic work

– Three ideas for banging Tab news stories, and how you’d pull them off

The deadline for applications is 23:59, Sunday 4th September