Omg, *that* Stranger Things four Will and Jonathan scene wasn’t originally meant to happen

Brb sobbing 😭😭

Before Stranger Things four dropped, fans had SO many theories about Will being gay as the series had hinted at it several times over the years. Then we finally got a couple of Stranger Things scenes which allude to Will being gay and his sexuality – one scene in the car where it’s clear he is in love with Mike, and one in the pizza place where Jonathan basically says that nothing Will does would ever make him not love his brother. But apparently we weren’t always going to get this second, gut-wrenching and tear-inducing scene!!

Noah Schnapp, who plays Will, has just confirmed his character is “100 per cent” gay and in love with Mike, speaking about the scene in the car that ends with Will turning away from Mike to look out of the window and cover his mouth to hide his sobs. But he said that the follow-up scene, where Jonathan implies he knows Will is gay but loves him no matter what, wasn’t actually in the script.

Noah said the Stranger Things creators only wrote the scene with Will and Jonathan in after filming the car scene with Mike, saying it was important to show that despite seeing Will struggle with his sexuality and being gay, he has people to support him and Jonathan will accept him no matter what.

stranger things four, will, jonathan, mike, gay, scene

Speaking to Variety, Noah said: “It was only until after I did the scene of me in the van, where they saw me crying and the protectiveness that you see with Jonathan looking in the rearview mirror. They were like, we need a scene with that. So they wrote it as we were filming.

“It’s also very important for people to see that Will is not alone — because all we ever see of him is struggling and feeling depressed and that he can’t be himself. Jonathan is talking to him in code — it’s just the perfect way to tell someone like Will that he cares about him and he accepts him no matter what. I think it was really wholesome.”

Stranger Things is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.