adam collard women's aid

Women’s Aid issues statement over Adam Collard’s return to Love Island

They previously commented on his behaviour in the show in 2018

Women’s Aid has issued a statement about former Love Island contestant Adam Collard returning to the show.

On Sunday evening it was teased Adam Collard from season four would be returning to the show and in last night’s episode viewers saw Adam arrive in the villa and get to know Paige, Ekin-Su, Danica and Gemma.

Ahead of his first appearance in the show last night the domestic abuse charity, Women’s Aid, who previously issued a warning about Adam’s behaviour on the show in 2018,  said they hope producers will intervene if relationships appear to be unhealthy and have considered the impact of bringing Adam back.

Teresa Parker, head of communications and media relations at Women’s Aid, told Metro.co.uk: “In the 2018 series of Love Island, we saw Rosie rightly call out Adam for his unacceptable behaviour, which included gaslighting and emotional abuse.

“We hope that ITV recognise how serious this issue is and that it must be learned from, considering they have asked Adam to return to the show.

“Love Island is watched by many young people and we know what a huge influence it has. Producers must make sure there is support for contestants throughout, and intervene if relationships become unhealthy or abusive.”

via ITV2

Adam Collard previously appeared on season four of Love Island in 2018, where he was dumped from the Island after nearly a month in the villa.

During his time on the show he got to know Kendall Rae Knight, Rosie Williams, Zara McDermott and Darylle Sargeant. After leaving the show he went onto have an eight month relationship with Zara McDermott.

adam collard women's aid

via ITV2

Whilst on the show Women’s Aid issued a statement over Adam’s treatment of Rosie and said he was gaslighting her, after Rosie called out Adam’s behaviour

They said: “In a relationship, a partner questioning your memory of events, trivialising your thoughts or feelings, and turning things around to blame you can be part of pattern of gaslighting and emotional abuse.

“Last night, Rosie called out Adam’s unacceptable behaviour on the show. We ask viewers to join her in recognising unhealthy behaviour in relationships and speaking out against all forms of domestic abuse – emotional as well as physical.

“It is only when we make a stand together against abuse in relationships that we will see attitudes change and an end to domestic abuse.”

Love Island 2022 continues on ITV2 at 9pm tonight. For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.