These Tory MPs could replace Boris as PM- here are all their rancid opinions

I mean Ben Wallace literally doesn’t think gay people should be able to marry

Boris Johnson will go down in history as Britain’s worst ever prime minister after his premiership fuzed dishonesty with incompetency, leaving a trail of destruction in its wake. While it’s going to be really hard to do a worse job than Boris, there’s a whole host of slimy Tory MPs waiting in the wings, ready to compete in the Conservative Party leadership contest. And it falls to the party’s membership to decide who will be the new leader of the Conservatives and the country. Seems fair…

The following MPs are in the running to replace Johnson. But who are they? How likely are they to take over? And what completely rancid opinions do they hold? Here’s everything you need to know about the Conservative Party leadership contest.

Ben Wallace

Shutterstock/ I T S

This fella has come out of the woodwork, winning credit for his successes as defence secretary. He’s basically been the only one doing a half-decent job in government and is relatively untarnished by his associations with Boris Johnson.

A YouGov poll reveals that Wallace is the number one choice among Tory members. But who are they to judge the character of the person who will potentially lead our country for the next couple of years?

Ben Wallace has consistently voted against gay rights. His voting record specifically reveals that he doesn’t think gay people should be able to marry.

conservative-leadership-contest-2022

He also loves the biggest villains to walk this earth: landlords. Wallace consistently votes against restrictions being imposed on the fees charged by letting agents. On top of that, he generally votes against measures designed to promote climate change.

While Wallace hasn’t yet launched a leadership bid, it’s thought he will do so soon.

Likelihood of getting into office: 8/10

Penny Mordaunt

Penny Mordaunt is another one who’s seemingly come from nowhere. But on Tuesday evening, Coral the bookmaker had her down as their favourite to become the next PM.

During the wave of resignations that led to Boris’s demise, Mordaunt stuck around as international trade minister. Some have criticised her for this decision.

While the arch-Brexiteer has been consistently critical of Boris Johnson, she also has a load of toxic opinions. Here are just a few.

She wants stronger immigration laws and to make it more difficult for people to claim asylum in the UK. conservative-leadership-contest-2022

While she has consistently voted for the expansion of gay rights, she has generally voted against measures to curb climate change.

Mordaunt has almost always voted for higher taxes on alcoholic drinks which is obviously not the most pressing issue in the world but…I personally couldn’t get behind a PM who hates pints.

Regardless of that, ConservativeHome polled Tory members revealing Mordaunt was in second place just behind Wallace.

Likelihood of getting into office: 7/10

Liz Truss

After Sunak and Javid deserted Johnson, Truss was quick to express her support for him. The foreign secretary has just cut short a trip to Indonesia and is though to be assembling a team to mount a leadership charge.

This week’s YouGov poll saw her come in fourth place, with a sizeable gap between her and Wallace.

Although Truss is a big fan of gay rights, she generally voted against measures that would help tackle climate change.

Truss has been a frontrunner for some time and should not be underestimated in the upcoming leadership contest. Nonetheless, now seems a good a time as any to drag up her iconic pork markets speech. Watch here:

Likelihood of getting into office: 6/10

Rishi Sunak

Rishi “Man of the people” Sunak and his wife Akshata Murty have a combined wealth of £730 million. So if he does choose to throw his hat into the ring for the top job, at least he’s probably not in it for the money

What’s more likely is that he’ll be after the platform to continue his efforts preventing laws that would tackle climate change.

conservative-leadership-contest-2022

Rishi Sunak was the second big gun to quit the cabinet (moments after Sajid Javid) in a wave of resignations that brought down the Prime Minister.

Up until a few months ago, Rishi was a clear favourite to succeed the PM. But the chancellor’s family’s tax affairs, his handling of the cost of living crisis and his involvement in Partygate saw his popularity plummet.

Although he was beaten to to being the first cabinet minister to go in the wake of the Pincher scandal, Sunak has regained some popularity and is thought to be readying a team and leadership bid as we speak.

He has voted 23 times for a reduction in welfare benefits spending, because obviously if he can rack up millions of pounds in the bank, surely everyone else can without any help?

Rather than have a stance on gay marriage, Rishi just doesn’t show up to the votes, abstaining every time it comes up.

Likelihood of getting into office: 5/10

Sajid Javid

After being one of the first minions to rise up against Boris, Sajid Javid gave a stirring speech in the Commons in which he claimed to have a shred of integrity while seemingly forgetting he had propped up Prime Minister until that point.

Being able to say he was the first key player to jump ship may stand him in good stead with regard to the upcoming leadership competition.

Like Penny Mordaunt, he also appears to hate pints, almost always voting for higher taxes on alcoholic drinks.

More importantly, he generally votes against measures that would help prevent climate change and usually votes against laws that would promote equality and human rights.

On the other hand, he generally votes for improved gay rights.

Likelihood of getting into office: 5/10

Tom Tugendhat

Tories to the centre of the party are backing Tom Tugendhat, the former military man whose odds for becoming leader are improving every day.

Back in January, he announced that if Johnson was forced out of office, he would stand as leader although he is yet to actually launch his campaign.

While he’s a fan of gay rights and human rights in general, he consistently votes against measures that would prevent climate change.

He also consistently votes against a reduction of spending against welfare benefits.

Likelihood of getting into office: 5/10

Other Tory MPs may be run in the leadership election. Voting records of all MPs are available at theyworkforyou.com. For more politics and current affairs follow our new channel Agenda on Twitter.