no-confidence-boris-johnson

Breaking: Tory MPs will vote on whether Boris Johnson should continue as leader

The vote of no confidence will take place between 6pm and 8pm

Conservative MPs will hold a no confidence vote this afternoon, to decide whether Boris Johnson should continue as leader of the party and Prime Minister of the country.

This comes as 54 letters have been sent by Tory MPs to head of the 1922 committee Sir Graham Brady, the threshold required to be passed in order for a vote of no confidence to take place.

The vote will be held between 6pm and 8pm today, with 50 per cent of the parliamentary Conservative Party needed to vote no confidence in order to topple the PM.

If Boris Johnson survives the result of the vote, no further no confidence votes can take place within a year.

This comes as Boris has faced calls to quit in the wake of Partygate and the Sue Gray report.

Tory MP Jesse Norman said in his letter to Graham Brady that Johnson was responsible for a “culture of casual law-breaking.”

A No 10 spokesperson said: “Tonight is a chance to end months of speculation and allow the government to draw a line and move on, delivering on the people’s priorities.

“The PM welcomes the opportunity to make his case to MPs and will remind them that when they’re united and focused on the issues that matter to voters there is no more formidable political force”.