sam fender johnny depp

‘Naive and disrespectful’: Sam Fender apologises for hanging out with Johnny Depp

They went to the pub together straight after the verdict

Sam Fender has released a statement on Instagram, apologising for hanging out with Johnny Depp.

They were spotted at the pub together straight after the Depp v. Heard verdict – in which Depp was found to be defamed by Amber Heard’s Washington Post article. The actor was in Newcastle at the time, so he didn’t actually attend the verdict himself.

The jury’s ruling has been met with a massive backlash since it was announced on Wednesday (1st June), with people believing Heard has forfeited her right to speak freely about her ex-husband. Some accused Sam of acting in poor taste by meeting up with Depp.

sam fender johnny depp

Photo via @sam_fender on Instagram

The singer posted a selfie with Jeff Beck (the musician Depp has been touring with), as well as the actor himself. He tagged them both, calling them “serious heroes.”

In another Instagram story, posted 5th June, Sam apologised for going to the pub with them. “I want to apologise,” he said. “I was invited to briefly meet a musical legend and an actor who has been in almost every film I’ve watched growing up…

“Using the word ‘heroes’ was meant in reference to their careers, but in the context of the trial was severely misinformed. I now realise that it was a poor choice of words and timing, but that’s irrelevant. It was naïve and disrespectful.”

apology

Photo via @sam_fender on Instagram

He continued, “I didn’t think it through and I should have. I can’t really say anything other than it was ill-judged and I was ignorant with regards to the trials as a whole, and thoughtless on what my post could imply.”

Depp fans have called him “spineless” for the statement.