student-loan-debt-russell-group-university-student

Revealed: The university degrees that will leave you with the most student loan debt

Some students will be saddled with £100k of debt

Everyone says university is meant to be the best time of your life, but it’s no secret that in today’s world, being a student comes at a massive financial cost. Many graduates will spend the majority of their working lives paying off their student loan debt, with the amount they pay depending on their salaries and the speed at which they are able to pay it back.

Research by money.co.uk has shown that certain subjects are more costly than others, accruing amounts of student loan debt.

Psychology is the degree topping this list, with students likely to accumulate £99,505 of debt, shortly followed by Media, Journalism + Communications (£99,489) and Education + Teaching (£99,473).

At the other end of the spectrum, Economics students will accrue the least student loan debt over their lifetimes (£56,127). In second and third place are Veterinary Sciences (£65,618) and Engineering (£68,573).

Here’s a full breakdown of the university degrees which accrue the highest and lowest student loan debts:

university-student-loan-debt-russell-group-student

The data was collated prior to the government’s recent changes to the student loan system which will come into effect in 2023.

The new changes mean that students will start paying back their loan sooner, with the window in which they have to pay it extended from 30 to 40 years.

That means that students beginning their university careers in September 2023 could potentially face even larger debts than those included in this article.

Featured image credit: Shutterstock / Enrico Della Pietra

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• Students will face £100k bill for degrees and won’t pay off loans until retirement

• These are the Russell Group universities with the lowest percentage of state school students

• Over a hundred students are occupying buildings on university campuses around the UK

• These Ukrainian students are struggling to flee the war and secure safe passage to the UK