maddy-lawrence-uwe-university-student

Fresher dies after rugby injury leads to fatal infection

‘Maddy’s presence, bravery, spirit, goodness, sass, beauty and love will never be forgotten’

A 20-year-old student has passed away after a non-life threatening injury sustained in a rugby match led to a fatal bacterial infection.

Maddy Lawrence was a first year student at the University of the West of England (UWE) and died in hospital on March 25th.

In a statement her family said: “Maddy’s presence, bravery, spirit, goodness, sass, beauty and love will never be forgotten.”

maddy-lawrence-university-student

After becoming injured in her final game of the season, Maddy went to hospital with her parents believing she’d be home by the weekend.

Tragically, Maddy picked up a bacterial infection, which doctors worked “tirelessly” to get under control.

Maddy’s family said: “Maddy fought with every sinew in her body, through life saving surgeries every single day of her stay in ICU. Her spirit and desire to live was so strong, as well as her heart and courage, that the medical teams were in awe of her and she never gave up that fight.

“So sadly on Friday 25th March, her body could take no more and we let her go, on to her next adventure with her adoring family by her side.

“Maddy’s presence, bravery, spirit, goodness, sass, beauty and love will never be forgotten and is felt all around us and in us and always will be.”

They added: “We have been completely overwhelmed and hugely comforted by the outpouring of love and support from you all for our beautiful Maddy and wanted to say a heartfelt thank you from a heartbroken family.”

Maddy’s family are in the process of setting up a charity fund in her honour.

UWE Women’s Rugby Club posted a tribute to Maddy on Instagram, announcing they will be retiring the number 11 shirt in her honour.

“Maddy was a bubbly girl who was so fun to be around,” the post reads. “Whenever she smiled and laughed you couldn’t help but smile and laugh with her.

“That was the sort of player, friend, sister and daughter Maddy was. Her everlasting energy has left its mark on this club, she will forever be our number 11 and will forever be our friend.”

Maddy’s team is encouraging all women’s rugby teams to conduct a one-minute applause before the start of this weekend’s fixtures.

Rugby’s official governing body, the RFU, tweeted: “On behalf of everyone at the RFU, we extend our heartfelt sympathies to the family and friends of Maddy Lawrence.

“The thoughts of everyone in the game are with UWE Women’s Rugby, their players, members and the wider rugby community.”

Photo credits: SWNS