‘Oh mammy!’: Blu Hydrangea on becoming the first ever winner of Drag Race UK Vs the World

‘I’ve had people say I’m a meh winner, but I did really well – what show were you watching?’

Oh, mammy! Blu Hydrangea has emerged as the first crowned queen of RuPaul’s Drag Race UK Versus the World – making her the first Irish queen to ever go on the franchise and then have a full circle moment as Ireland’s first winner. On a season that’s divided the fandom and cause outrage and uproar at every episode, Blu’s win, to me, feels like a solid ending and everything that an All Stars redemption should be about. She showed promise back in Drag Race UK season one, but never felt like a threat to The Viv, Baga or Divina’s crown. Flash forward to now, and she entered that competition a force to be reckoned with – impeccable looks, well thought out challenge performances and a competitive and cut throat nature when it was needed.

The Tab caught up with Blu to discuss her win, the season and how the last day has been for her on the biggest 24 hours of her career!

‘When you start off on a high, you feel like you’ve solidified your place in the competition’

Hi Blu! Congratulations, I hope you’re having the best day celebrating. You said when you got to set on day one and met everyone, you felt like a filler queen. At what point did you feel like you were going to make it to the final and that you could win the whole thing?

I think doing well in the talent show set me up for a good run. Whenever you start off on a high, I felt like I’d secured my place in the competition in that moment. But it probably wasn’t until Snatch Game til I felt like I could win the whole thing. But I felt like watching the episodes back “I could have been in the top for that, I could have been in the top for that”. I don’t think I was on the judges radar until I slayed Snatch Game, but that’s somehow just how the game goes. Once Pangina and Jimbo had gone, I was like “Now you see me!”

You were definitely underrated at the start! What challenges in particular did you feel like you should have been in the top for?

I did really well in the Rusical. Janey did well, but my outfit was far more interesting. I thought my talent show was the best one there. Actually, all of them. People are saying “What a meh winner!” but I actually did really well, so I don’t know what your talking about. What show were you watching?!

It seemed there was some tension in Untucked last night – how is the sisterly bond going between you all?

Well, me and Pangina are fabulous. We talk every day and send each other nudes! We adore each other. To be honest, I think the fan reaction to her elimination split us up for a few days. She hadn’t watched the episode and was hearing things from fans. I can’t wait to see her in person and give her a big hug. It’s crazy how people who aren’t even involved in the situation have the power to potentially jeopardise friendships.

In terms of Jimbo and Pangina, Jimbo’s a clown. By nature, they’re always in character. It was a lot of negative energy to bring to the Untucked but maybe that’s just how she was feeling in that moment. I did read online people saying that if that negativity had come from a person of colour it would have been read completely differently and I totally agree. I think there was just no place for that attitude in that moment, and hopefully she learns from it.

‘Once the game started getting played a bit dirty, that was the only way I felt like I could progess’

When you eliminated Pangina, you said you did so because you were matching her because you felt like she got rid of Jimbo because they were the strongest competition. Do you feel like if you had the opportunity earlier in the season you’d have eliminated Jimbo for that reason too?

No, I don’t think so. I wouldn’t have eliminated Pangina, either – I was confident with what I was doing in the competition. Once the game started getting played a bit dirty, then that’s the only way I could see myself progressing til the end. I think Pangina would have sent me home because I had a badge – whether she says it or not. In that moment, a year ago, she was ready to eliminate her strongest competition.

Blu, what’s the dream now that you’ve won Drag Race UK Versus the World?

I just really want to work this year and do as much as I can. I want to be on TV, bring out makeup, do photoshoots, things I’ve not really had the chance to do because I wasn’t really a standout on my season. I’m ready to take all opportunities by the balls and be an advocate for people who don’t get spoken about enough. If I can’t be the platform and don’t have the words to speak on the topic, I’d love to be that platform for someone else. It would be stupid if I didn’t come off the season and be a beacon of light for those who need it.

Blu talks to The Tab after being crowned a winner

Were you disappointed to see Spotify leaked the winner early?

I didn’t accept anything until it came out of Mama Ru’s mouth! I didn’t let it spoil my day, it calmed my nerves a bit. I was drip fed my win!

Blu, how was recording with Ru for your Drag Race UK Versus the World winner prize?

It was actually so much fun. I got to work with Leland again who did Break Up Bye Bye and our Frock Destroyers album, and he’;s such a sweetheart. I got a message from Gabe who does the attuning and he said it was the best I’d ever sounded. What’s funny is I slept in a dodgy hotel the night before and the air con was scratching my throat, but it gave me a Phoebe Buffay sexy voice and it was the best I’d sounded. There’s not even any autotune on it!

But Ru was there in the recording booth with me, and I don’t think I’d ever touched Ru before that moment. We actually touched! It was great.

‘Being the first Irish winner is my favourite part about winning’

How does it feel Blu, being the first Irish queen on the show and now having a full circle moment and becoming the first Irish winner with UK Versus the World?

It’s actually one of my favourite parts about it. There hasn’t been another Irish queen on Drag Race at all – North or South. I know Pangina and Janey really felt the pressure representing their country – I really felt the same thing, because who knows when there’s going to be another Northern Irish queen? I got so many nice messages from people saying “I was never proud to say I was from Northern Ireland until you won” and that’s just lovely to hear.

You seemed to have a really good mindset throughout this whole season – what’s your secret to keeping your head in the game and staying level headed?

I think naturally I’m quite oblivious to things going on around me! I think it’s just the natural thing you need to do – Bob, Bianca, these queens who came before me who went into it knowing they’re going to win it. That was kind of my mindset. I was doing well in the challenges, I never fell in the bottom and I wasn’t stressed. I wasn’t able to do that on my first season because I was young and inexperienced. It felt really good – and I’m so proud

RuPaul’s Drag Race UK Versus The World is available to stream now on BBC iPlayer. For all the latest Drag Race memes and Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.

Featured image courtesy of BBC. Special thanks to Imogen Reid and Jasmine Aloma at the BBC.

Recommended stories by this writer:

Is Drag Race’s Daya Betty getting the infamous ‘villain edit’, or is she her own worst enemy?

‘It was a traumatic experience’: Pangina on her heartbreaking Drag Race UK vs the World exit

• Only a Drag Race super-fan can correctly name the US state these 14 queens are from