student-lecturer-relationships

Unis must ‘strongly discourage’ sexual relationships between students and lecturers

Universities UK is also calling for a ban on the use of NDAs to silence victims of sexual violence

Universities should “strongly discourage” sexual relationships between staff and students, according to new guidance. Universities UK (the body that represents the sector) HASN’T called for a ban on student-lecturer relationships but says when such an event does happen, “the staff member should declare this and be removed from all responsibilities which could mean a conflict of interest .”

Universities minister Michelle Donelan welcomed the guidance. “Universities have a profound responsibility to protect students from sexual misconduct, especially when perpetrated by those in positions of power such as a member of staff,” she said.

The new guidance also calls for a ban of the use Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) to settle cases involving sexual violence or harassment at university.

Michelle Donelan previously been vocal in her opposition to the misuse of NDAs. Reacting to the new guidance, Donelan said: “It is right to call on universities not to use Non-Disclosure Agreements to silence victims of sexual harassment, and I am deeply proud that over thirty universities have already signed up to a pledge I launched last month committing to end this immoral practice.”

Professor Cara Aitchison, Vice-Chancellor of Cardiff Metropolitan University, helped draft the guidance and said: “Universities are committed to ensuring the safety and wellbeing of all students and staff – we have both an ethical and legal duty of care.

“While the overwhelming majority of students enjoy a positive and safe experience on campus, sadly harassment and violence does still occur. Both as a sector, and as independent institutions, we must address this by changing the culture that enables sexual misconduct to take place. 

“It is critical that students who experience or witness sexual misconduct feel confident and supported to speak out and we know this can be particularly difficult where a complaint involves a staff member. We must ensure every campus has a culture of trust and a sense of belonging where students feel listened to and trust the university will act appropriately.”  

Hillary Gyebi-Ababio, VP Higher Education at the National Union of Students, said: “Every student should feel safe and secure throughout their time at university, and be able to look to the institution and its staff for support if they experience sexual violence on campus.

“That is why any abuse perpetrated by staff is particularly shocking. It destroys trust and is an issue our own research has shown was historically overlooked within higher education, focusing instead on misconduct between students. 

“There are clear power imbalances in relationships between staff and students, and abuses of this power must be tackled with a whole-university approach. We were pleased to support the development of this guidance, and to help create the right culture and conditions for students to feel protected and able to speak out if they experience or witness sexual misconduct, regardless of who is behind that misconduct.” 

Featured image: Shutterstock / Monkey Business Images

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• Students will face £100k bill for degrees and won’t pay off loans until retirement

• These are the Russell Group universities with the lowest percentage of state school students

• Over a hundred students are occupying buildings on university campuses around the UK