‘Fictionalised and unappealing’: What the real Anna Delvey has said about Inventing Anna

She’s also commented on Julia Garner’s attempt at her accent

If you’ve been watching Inventing Anna, you’ve probably gathered that the real Anna Sorokin, or Anna Delvey, is anything but the type to bite her tongue. She tells people exactly what she thinks, and likes to get her opinions known. She applied that to the show too, revealing exactly how she feels about it.

Inventing Anna follows the story of Anna Sorokin, who took the name “Delvey” and tricked the New York elite out of hundreds of thousands of dollars. The real Anna Delvey has shared her thoughts on the show, whether or not she will be watching and what she thinks about Julia Garner’s (who plays her) attempt at her accent.

Here’s what the real Anna Sorokin, or Anna Delvey, has said about Inventing Anna on Netflix.

What the real Anna Delvey or Sorokin has said about Inventing Anna on Netflix

via Netflix

The real Anna Delvey described Inventing Anna as fictionalised and unappealing to her

In an essay published on Insider, Anna Sorokin, or Anna Delvey, has spoken about the show and her time in prison – which is where she is at the moment. Despite working with producers for four years, Anna has said she won’t be watching the show.  “No – it doesn’t look like I’ll be watching Inventing Anna anytime soon,” she said. “Even if I were to pull some strings and make it happen, nothing about seeing a fictionalised version of myself in this criminal-insane-asylum setting sounds appealing to me.”

She added she feels like an “afterthought” given the show is focused on the perspective of a journalist chasing her story. She said: “For a long while, I was hoping that by the time Inventing Anna came out, I would’ve moved on with my life. I imagined for the show to be a conclusion of sorts summing up and closing off a long chapter that had come to an end. Nearly four years in the making and hours of phone conversations and visits later, the show is based on my story and told from a journalist’s perspective. And while I’m curious to see how they interpreted all the research and materials provided, I can’t help but feel like an afterthought, the somber irony of being confined to a cell at yet another horrid correctional facility lost between the lines, the history repeating itself.”

Julia Garner has replied to Anna’s essay, saying Anna doesn’t have to watch the show if she doesn’t want to. In a recent interview with Entertainment Tonight, Julia said: “Here’s the thing, I respect whatever Anna does in terms of whether she wants to watch the show or doesn’t want to watch the show. That’s her choice and that’s totally fine. She doesn’t have to watch the show. I never made the show in anticipation, thinking that she’s going to watch it. If she did watch it, great. If not, that’s fine, too. I respect whatever she wants to do.”

Anna Delvey, Anna Sorokin

via Instagram @theannadelvey

The real Anna Delvey has also had her say on Julia Garner’s attempt at her accent in Inventing Anna

Anna was born in Russia, moved to Germany and then lived in America, so it’s not surprising that hers is a tough accent to nail. In an interview with Insider, the real Anna Delvey has had her say on Julia Garner’s accent in Inventing Anna. Despite saying she won’t watch the show, she’s seen enough clips and trailers to give her opinion. “I think she kind of falls in and out of it,” she said. “Some of it she gets right – but not everything. I was watching myself, what I was saying, but it’s nothing like I ever experienced before, having somebody impersonate you so publicly.”

She did give Julia Garner the benefit of the doubt, saying it’s hard to really know how you sound to other people and not just in your own head. “I don’t feel like I sound like that,” she added. “It’s like when you hear yourself on TV and it’s not really the voice you hear in your head when you speak.”

via Netflix

In an interview with Jimmy Fallon, Julia Garner said Anna’s was the hardest accent she has ever had to do. “First, I had to do like a European, a German accent, right? But it’s very subtle, you have a vocal fry at the end of it,” she said. “And then I had to add a little Russian for certain words. Then it gets Americanised because you know how Americans sometimes add a little question to the end of everything? ‘You know what I mean?’ Europeans don’t do that.”

Inventing Anna is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.