Where is Anna Delvey now? The fake heiress who inspired Inventing Anna on Netflix

She was released but her freedom didn’t last long

Inventing Anna has just been released on Netflix and it tells the story of Russian con-woman Anna Sorokin, who changed her last name to Delvey and swindled the New York elite out of thousands of dollars.

The series is a dramatised version of events, with Julia Garner playing Anna, but the story is very much real. The Netflix series gives us an insight into Anna’s life, but you might want the latest on her case as it stands today. Here are the last known updates on the real life Anna Sorokin/Delvey, and where she is now.

via Richard Drew/AP/Shutterstock

Who is Anna Sorokin, or Anna Delvey?

Anna Delvey was born Anna Sorokin in January 1991. Her family are Russian and Anna was born in a small town there. She struggled to fit in as a child, and moved to Germany as a teenager. She later moved to New York to cover Fashion Week for a magazine.

In New York in 2013, Anna took the name Delvey and told people she was a wealthy German heiress sitting on a €60million (£52million) fortune. She became friends with celebrities and the rich and famous and managed to stay at the most luxury hotels on the scene – all without actually having the money she said she did. She created false bank statements and told investors she had plans to make an exclusive elite social club in the city which she needed money for. It is thought the amount she scammed friends and New York businesses of is in the hundreds of thousands.

In 2019, Anna Sorokin was found guilty of scamming New York’s social elite out of thousands of dollars by posing as the rich heiress. Anna was convicted on multiple counts of attempted grand larceny, grand larceny and theft of services, for which she was sentenced to between four and 12 years imprisonment.

Who is Anna Delvey or Sorokin behind Inventing Anna on Netflix and where is she now

via Instagram @theannadelvey

Anna Delvey was released, but is now back in prison

After Anna was sentenced in 2019 she did her time in prison and had been released , but she’s now back behind bars. She was released from the original prison on parole in February 2021, after serving three years of her four-to-12-year sentence. She was released for “good behaviour”.

One of the first things she did was settle her debts, and then she checked into the NoMad Hotel in downtown Manhattan. She returned to Instagram, and it looked like her glamorous life was back on track. She hired a videographer who she said was going to tell her story from her perspective for a TV documentary.

But, her new found freedom and return to glamour didn’t exactly last very long. At the end of the Netflix show, it tells us she was released from prison on 11th February 2021 and a month later, was taken into custody by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for overstaying her visa.

Anna had been scheduled to be deported back to Germany in late March last year, but currently remains in the US in custody. She made an application for relief, basically saying she didn’t want to go to Germany, and according to court documents reviewed by Esquire, she had applied for asylum in the US based on a “fear of returning to Germany.” Her application was denied.

Anna Delvey is 31-years-old now, and remains in custody in Orange County Correctional Facility in New York. In a piece with Insider from behind bars, she said: “My visa overstay was unintentional and largely out of my control. I served my prison sentence, but I’m appealing my criminal conviction to clear my name. I did not break a single one of New York state’s or ICE’s parole rules. Despite all that, I’ve yet to be given a clear and fair path to compliance.”

via Instagram @theannadelvey

She has said she has no intentions to watch Inventing Anna, and she is currently waiting to hear if she will be deported to Germany. In January she tested positive for Covid-19, adding in the Insider piece: “I’m sure I’ll live, but I haven’t been this sick in years.” Anna’s Instagram is still live, and she currently has 151k followers.

Inventing Anna is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.