nasa-hubble-telescope-apod-birthday-picture

This is how you can see the picture Nasa took on your birthday

The picture comes with some info on why it was taken

So it turns out Nasa has been logging pictures of the universe every day for the past 25 years. Run by Nasa in conjunction with Michigan Technical University, the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) is a website that has archived all of these images. In 2021, Nasa launched a feature allowing users to find the specific image capture on their birthday. Here’s how you can find the picture Nasa took on your birthday:

The Nasa birthday picture comes with some info written by an astronomer

It’s really easy. All you need to do is go on Nasa’s website and key in your birthday date. Then you’ll see an image of the universe as well as some information about what the image is and why it was taken. This image, taken on July 7th 2010, was used by astronomers to map the distribution of dark matter in a cluster of galaxies.

nasa-birthday-picture-telescope

How were the pictures taken?

All the pictures were taken by the Hubble Space Telescope which Nasa has been using to capture images like these since 1990.

The telescope orbits Earth around 15 times a day and is located 340 miles above Earth. Nasa estimates that the telescope covers five miles every second meaning. At that speed, you could cross the entire USA in around 10 minutes.