Drag Race UK Versus the World premiere

The best thing about Drag Race: UK Versus the World is that the show’s never been so wild

I won’t know peace until I know why the entrances were done on the main stage

If you thought you knew what you were going to get when you sat down with your chosen family to welcome the return of BBC Three as a channel with RuPaul’s Drag Race: UK Versus the World, you probably quickly realised you were mistaken. Nobody could have anticipated the level of goops, gags, mayhem and pandemonium that unfolded when this cast of absolute icons convened in Manchester to compete together. The resulting television was unhinged – but it was a welcome relief. When Drag Race has felt so formulaic for so long, it felt like a breath of fresh air to let the agents of chaos take the show into the multiverse of madness for an hour or so. I lapped up every second. Did the premiere of Drag Race: UK Versus the World prove this is going to be the most carnage filled season of all time?

Ok so why did the queens enter on the main stage?

Once again, because it bears repeating, why did the queens enter on the main stage? What was wrong with a good old fashioned work room entrance? The entrance formula that has worked purposely for over 25 seasons of global drag? I need answers. It’s going to give me sleepless nights. At first, I thought it was because there was going to be some sort of twist announced instantly on the stage, but nope. Just a very-pleased-with-himself RuPaul descending from a rusty hydraulic lift.

The SHADE of this cast

Explain this image to a Victorian orphan

This cast chose chaos, especially Mo and Blu. Mo walked into this competition ready to drag the girls, shade the girls and annihilate the girls and you have to respect the chaos. Speaking of chaos, my jaw is still shattered comfortably on my living room floor after watching Blu Hydrangea casually tell Mo to her face that she didn’t like her when she first met her. Mo’s face should be hanging in the reality television for all to see forever. Good on Blu for being endlessly charming, effortlessly likeable and confident when she’s constantly underestimated because of her soft spoken nature and young looks.

We’ve never seen a talent show this ridiculous

Hijinks after hijinks. Lemon kicked it off with a high kicking, big splitting lip sync performance, followed by Mo doing some live singing that never really went anywhere. Janey Jacké disappointed with a reveal number where every single look was worse than the one before – and if we’re being real, she should have gone home for it. Jujubee and Baga sang live, with the latter saying “Much betta” a million times whilst Ru wept with laughter, Cheryl kakakikikaka-d about the stage, Blu did what can only be described as her interpretation of Madonna, MIA and Nicki Minaj in the Give Me All Your Luvin music video. Pangina gagged with her lip syncing dance number.

But we can’t talk about anyone else here other than Jimbo. Jimbo stole the absolute SHOW with her clowning number. On press day, Jimbo told me about how clowning is about sharing – it’s a theatrical practice elevated through the art of her drag. Every part of tonight’s premiere of Drag Race: UK Versus the World belonged to Jimbo. Her entrance look was immaculate, her talent show groundbreaking and her runway look immaculate.

Not our Lemon!

Lemon won the world over these last 12 months. Anyone who wasn’t already standing suddenly rained the Canadian legend thanks to her show stopping featured verse on Priyanka’s single Come Through. You’d be hard pressed to find a Drag Race fan who didn’t have Lemon sitting comfortably in their top three even before the premiere of Drag Race: UK Versus the World. Seeing  her go home this soon, especially when she was by no means the worst, is crushing. If the rest of the episode wasn’t so damn entertaining, it could have had the potential to ruin the series.

It’s anyone’s game, and that’s the madness Drag Race needs

Never has a season of Drag Race felt like anyone could go and anyone could win like the premiere of Drag Race: UK Versus the World has established. And that’s the kind of chaos I’m ready for with this spin off of the franchise. The queens eliminating each other All Stars 2-4 vibes works better than ever here when it’s queens voting for and representing not only their own drag but their countries. Alliances will be formed. Drama will overflow. Chaos will continue to reign. I can hardly wait. And lastly… WHY DID THE QUEENS ENTER ON THE MAIN STAGE?!?!

RuPaul’s Drag Race: UK Versus The World continues Tuesdays at 9pm on BBC Three and BBC iPlayer. For all the latest Drag Race memes and Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.

Recommended stories by this writer:

• Choriza May and River Medway break silence on RuPaul’s worst decision in Drag Race history

• ‘By the time I left, I didn’t want to be there’: Charity Kase on her Drag Race UK journey

• Victoria Scone and Veronica Green break silence on their shock Drag Race UK exits