We’re hiring a TikTok Specialist

This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a new growth area at The Tab

The Tab is hiring a TikTok specialist to produce videos for our expanding TikTok audience. You will be responsible for growing The Tab’s presence on TikTok, by creating (and sometimes starring in) videos that will be a huge hit with our very online 18-25 demographic.

This is an exciting opportunity to be an instrumental part of a new growth area. This role is for someone ambitious and creative, who loves to watch the numbers grow.  You’ll be responsible for aggressively expanding our platform in genius ways.

The Tab is an online news site with over five million readers every month, dedicated to covering stories students and young people care about. That includes fighting discrimination and holding authority to account, while at the same time telling you which Netflix shows are worth binging. We are run by young journalists who like being first – our storytelling is brave, original, and entertaining.

What you’ll be doing

Day to day you will be making several short-form videos that have the potential to go viral, using your expert knowledge of what’s trending. You will also work with the Editor-in-Chief and Social Editor to carve out our TikTok strategy and create the blueprint for success. You’ll be responsible for propelling the account towards major milestones – like 500,000 followers, and 1M followers.

Key responsibilities:

• Creating (and sometimes starring in) TikTok videos for The Tab’s account
  • Pitching video ideas based on current TikTok trends
  • Commissioning TikTok videos to other writing staff and students
  • Keeping track of growth numbers and reporting them weekly
  • Giving advice to Tab student editors who are growing TikTok accounts for their university audiences

About you

You will be a TikTok *connoisseur*, having grown your account or another brand’s account into the thousands. You need an innate understanding of the audience; 18-25s who are well-versed in online culture and are spending big chunks of their day on browsing TikTok. It will be your job to stop them from swiping up straight away- by amusing, angering, amazing, and informing them with your attention-grabbing videos.

You will be: 

• Simply obsessed with TikTok – and able to name a few of the biggest TikTok trends on any given day
  • Creative and energetic – you’ll need a constant stream of ideas, and be able to come up with new ways to engage the audience on-the-spot
  • A self-starter – you’ll be the only person working exclusively on TikTok and responsible for its growth
  • Good under pressure – you’ll be working in a newsroom environment, where new ideas are constantly thrown up and quick turnarounds are needed
  • Driven – you understand the shift TikTok, the opportunity it presents for the media, and want to be at the forefront of that change

You will need:

• A 2.1 from a British university
  • Proficiency in Adobe Premier Pro would be preferred

Benefits

• Company MacBook
  • Flexible working, with access to our Shoreditch co-working spaces
  • Early finishes on a Friday
  • 25 days holiday per year
  • Competitive salary (based on your experience of the above)
  • Access to the WeCare app – on-demand access to qualified doctors and counseling
  • A young, sociable team who are hugely passionate about representing the voices of young people
@thetab_ @leviathanjptv on how he created #chugjugwithyou #chugjug #fortnite ♬ Chug jug with you – .

How to apply

If this sounds like you, please send the following to Editor-in-Chief Grace Vielma ([email protected]):

1. Your CV and cover letter
  2. A link to your personal TikTok, or a brand’s TikTok, that you have grown yourself
  3. Outline three TikTok video ideas that would blow up on The Tab, based on what is trending right now. Please include a very brief description of why you think the video would be well-watched

Due to the volume of applications, we will only be able to get back to successful candidates.