nadim-zahawi-education-minister-university-student-online-learning

Universities need to deliver face-to-face teaching, says education minister

100 universities have moved lectures online

The education secretary has urged universities to stop cancelling face-to-face teaching as it emerged that over 100 institutions had shifted lectures online.

Nadim Zahawi also encouraged students complain to the university watchdog if they feel short-changed by their education.

“I want to repeat that my expectation of universities is that they deliver face-to-face education,” Zahawi told The Sunday Times. “They need to deliver it and if students feel they are not getting value for money they should take that up with the Office for Students.”

A spokesperson for Universities UK told MailOnline: “Universities in England are doing all they can to prioritise in-person teaching and learning at the start of term, and continue to work closely with health authorities and relevant government departments to keep students and staff safe.

“All institutions are continuing to take steps to manage the virus, including implementation of the Plan B measures such as the use of face coverings, regular asymptomatic testing and having outbreak plans agreed to prepare for any spike in cases – such as support for students who need to self-isolate.”

23 out of 24 Russell Group universities are offering “blended learning” for the upcoming term.

Universities minister Michelle Donelan wrote in The Tab that online learning should not be used by universities as a “cost saving measure.”