elmo-rocco-rock-sesame-street

Why is Elmo trending and what’s his beef with Rocco the rock?

To be fair to Elmo, Rocco does my nut in

So it’s 2022 and Elmo is the first celebrity to go viral on Twitter. This is the world we live in. People are sharing clips of the iconic Sesame Street puppet, specifically reminiscing over his eternal beef with Rocco the rock.

But why has Elmo suddenly reared his big, red, furry head once again, and why does he hate Rocco (an inanimate object) so damn much?

Why is Elmo trending?

So it seems like the trend began when The Tonight Show circulated a 2015 flashback clip in which Elmo teaches Jimmy Fallon how to make a burger.

This seemed to inspire the masses to share their favourite Elmo clips, most notably one where Elmo loses his shit because of a rock called Rocco.

What’s Elmo’s beef with Rocco the rock?

In this clip, Elmo’s really pissed off the Rocco the rock has been given an oatmeal cookie that he really wants to lock his chops around. Elmo doesn’t seem to realise that by virtue of being a puppet, he has the same ability to eat the cookie as the rock: none.

Elmo shouts: “How is Rocco going to eat that cookie, Zoe?! Tell Elmo! Rocco doesn’t even have a mouth! Rocco’s just a rock! Rocco’s not alive!”

Here’s the full clip:

So, I hear you ask, who the fuck is Rocco and why is a denying Elmo his tasty snack?

According to Know Your Meme, Rocco was introduced onto Sesame Street as Zoe’s pet back in 1999. As the years past, Elmo’s hatred of the rock grew.

Despite Zoe’s insistence, Elmo would refuse to entertain the idea that Rocco was more than just a rock. This culminated with his eruption of anger seen in the cookie clip. So there you have it.

Obviously this has triggered an avalanche of Elmo clips being shared on Twitter. Here are the best: