drinks least likely to give you a hangover

These are the drinks least likely to give you a hangover

Wait vodka is actually ok?

You’re probably reading this right now in the depths of one of the worst hangovers of your life. Tired, headachy, most likely throwing up with a half eaten abandoned Maccies on the side and saying you will never drink again. We all know that is not going to happen.

As you will inevitably drink again, you can try and prevent the hangover from hell by adjusting what you drink on your night out. Not all alcohol is created equal and some drinks are far less likely to give you a hangover than others. They may not be your favourite type of alcohol but if you’d rather avoid the hangxiety and vomiting then these are the drinks you need to consider.

These are the drinks least likely to give you a hangover:

Vodka

Vodka is the drink that is least likely to give you a hangover. The general rule of thumb is, the clearer the drink, the least likely it is to cause a hangover.

A study by the British Medical Association found vodka is the best for avoiding a hangover because it has few congeners.

Congeners are the impurities which come out in the fermentation process of alcohol. The body struggles to process them so the more a drink has the worse a hangover is probably going to be.

These are the alcohols ranked from containing the least to most congeners:

• Vodka
  • Gin
  • Beer
  • White wine
  • Whiskey
  • Rum
  • Red wine
  • Brandy

Expensive drinks

Great, just what my bank account needs. Generally the more expensive brands of vodka and gin are least likely to give you a hangover as they are the brands which distill their alcohol more. The more an alcohol is distilled, the smaller amount of congeners it will have.

Drinks with water mixers

It may not sound as appealing but drinks with water mixers are better for avoiding a hangover.

Sugary and carbonated drinks cause your stomach to empty quicker and therefore the body absorbs alcohol quicker. Then your dehydration level drops and your blood alcohol level increases said Professor Jim Schaefer in Men’s Fitness.

Non-alcoholic drinks

Of course the easiest way to avoid a hangover is to not drink alcohol or opt for low alcohol beverages.

Drinkline is the national alcohol helpline. If you’re worried about your own or someone else’s drinking, you can call the free helpline in complete confidence. Call 0300 123 1110 (weekdays 9am to 8pm, weekends 11am to 4pm).