university-drug-fines

Exclusive: These are the unis that give out the most drug-related fines

Over 8,400 cases of drug-related offences were reported at 81 universities over the past five years

More than 8,400 cases of drug-related offences were reported at 81 UK universities over the past five years.

A series of Freedom of Information requests by The Tab has revealed the universities with the highest number of drug-related offences as well as the unis that gave out the most fines for these offences.

Although almost all universities reported drug-related offences over this period, many told The Tab they did not issue fines over the same timescale, often as it was not their policy to do so.

UWE reported the most drug offences over the past five years

In terms of the offences themselves, The University of The West of England came top with a staggering 1,553 cases. Despite not issuing any fines, the university did serve 104 “notices to quit accommodation” effectively evicting students for these offences.

After a big gap, Nottingham Trent then comes second with 804 cases, with Manchester in third on 583 cases.

Those top three universities combined made up 35 per cent of all cases in the past five years.

Here are the full results:

The table shows the total number of reported drug-related incidents at individual universities between 2016-2021

Manchester Uni dished out the most in fines for drug-related offences over the past five years

On top of this, 34 universities confirmed they had issued some form of fine for drug-related offences over this period.

In total, these 34 universities issued nearly £350,000 worth of fines over the five year period.

Manchester topped the table for fines with an estimated £58,000 issued. The uni has recently announced it has moved away from its “no tolerance policy” and will now change to a harm-reduction stance.

Nottingham followed in second place with £44,510 issued and Reading took the third most with £41,560.

Queen’s University Belfast reported the highest individual fines, with single fines often exceeding £1,150.

Here are the full results:

The table shows the total amount of fines (£) issued for drug-related incidents at individual universities between 2016-2021

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• These are the uni cities with the most Covid cases right now

• Meet the students who’ll be spending Christmas Day isolated away from their families

• Student who was airlifted from Afghanistan goes on holiday to war-torn South Sudan