Ranked: These are officially the most watched Netflix shows in 2021

Squid Game ended up being viewed by 142million households!!

This year Netflix has provided us with some well needed distraction from a pretty shitty year. The platform has broken loads of its own records, and seen shows completely smash the numbers of how many people have been viewing. Let’s just take a moment to appreciate that a few months ago none of us had ever heard of Squid Game and now over a hundred million households have watched it and literally every other person was dressed as a Squid Game player for Halloween. So, just what were the most watched Netflix shows of 2021?

The Independent has put together all the figures which Netflix has released from this year, to work out the most watched shows of 2021. Here’s the full ranking of all the series that had us in full binge mode.

10. Lupin part two – 54million

via Netflix

Two parts of Lupin have been released on Netflix this year, both of which have been a smash for Netflix. The world-famous gentleman thief and master of disguise is now a household name all over the world. 54 million households watched part two.

9. Shadow and Bone – 55million

Ranking the most watched Netflix shows of 2021 and how many viewers they each had

via Netflix

Shadow and Bone got its fair share of criticism upon its release, but in the end it did well, as the fantasy series was watched by 55million households worldwide. It follows Alina Starkov, who stumbles upon her impressive power of being able to summon light, which then flings her into a life she could never have imagined.

8. Sex Education season three – 55million

via Netflix

Honestly, I can’t imagine a world without the students of Moordale High in it. Sex Education has become a Netflix staple, and is dangerously relatable for just about anyone at some point. We love the characters probably more than we’d like to admit, and watching them learn about themselves and the world has had 55million of us glued to our screens this year.

7. Fate: The Winx Saga – 57million

via Netflix

If someone had told you before you watched Fate: The Winx Saga that you’d love a show about fairies this much, you wouldn’t believe them. But, 57million of us got hooked on Bloom and the scary goings on at Alfea College.

6. Sweet Tooth – 60million

via Netflix

Sweet Tooth was one of those series nobody was sure about, and then everyone started talking about how good it was and it was straight into the Top 10. Now, 60million households have watched it. It follows a boy who is half human, half deer – so it’s easy to understand people’s initial doubts. On Rotten Tomatoes the series is described as “emotionally engaging, superbly acted, and incredibly entertaining, Sweet Tooth will satisfy fantasy fans of all ages.”

5. Sex/Life – 67million

via Netflix

Are we surprised 67million households watched Sex/Life? The show follows Billie Connelly, a former party girl turned stay-at-home mother and wife. In the first season she began to reminisce and fantasise about her ex-boyfriend Adam and this leads to her writing about her thoughts in her journal. The show has since been renewed for a second season, and yes, this one will probably be just as horny too.

4. Maid – 67million

via Netflix

Drama series Maid has become the fourth most watched series of the year. It follows single mother Alex, who turns to housecleaning to make ends meet as she escapes an abusive relationship and overcomes homelessness to create a better life for her daughter, Maddy.

3. Money Heist season five – 69million

via Netflix

Season five of Money Heist saw the Spanish drama end its huge run. 69million households have so far watched the final episodes, which bring the story of The Professor and his bank-robbing gang to a dramatic close.

2. Lupin part one – 76million

via Netflix

The first part of French mystery series, Lupin, was released in January 2021. It got a considerable amount more views than part two has (maybe people are still yet to binge) and is now the second most watched of all Netflix shows in 2021.

1. Squid Game – 142million

via Netflix

Squid Game has totally eclipsed any other film or series, with a huge 111million households viewing it straight after its release – a figure which has since risen even more, to 142million. It took just 17 days for the show to break all previous viewing records on the platform and now well over 50 per cent of Netflix’s global subscribers have watched the show.

For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.