This is where you recognise the cast of Vigil from

Cast members have been in the likes of Peep Show and Sex Education

The first two episodes of Vigil have dropped and it’s already getting pretty tense. The murder-mystery from the makers of Line of Duty has left us guessing and eagerly anticipating the third episode, which airs at 9pm on Sunday on BBC 1. And aside from rapidly shifting plot and well-drawn characters, the submarine thriller is propelled by its star-studded cast.

Even the actors whose names you can’t quite remember are in loads of iconic shows. Here’s where you recognise the cast of Vigil from:

Suranne Jones

vigil-cast-bbc-submarine-thriller

Suranne Jones plays DCI Amy Silva, the  lead detective on the case of working out the true circumstances behind the death of Craig Burke.

You may recognise her from her role as the title character in Dr. Foster or as DC Rachel Bailey in Scott and Bailey.

I actually can’t get over her as Mona Lisa

She also made a brief appearance in Doctor Who as Idris and in the Sarah Jane Adventures as Mona Lisa.

Martin Compston

vigil-cast-martin-compston-line-of-duty

Martin Compston plays Craig Burke who, if you’ve not skimmed the first section of this article, you now know is dead. Sorry about that. It happens very early on. I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Obviously Martin is known for his iconic role as Steve Arnott in Line of Duty. Somehow, he’s also actually managed to act in other things on the side.

Recently he played Dan in ITV drama The Nest and has also starred as Daniel MacAfee in Traces.

Martin in Strippers vs Werewolves

A quick scan of his IMDB reveals he’s also been in a short film called Spunkbubble and a feature called Strippers vs Werewolves. Make of that what you will.

Connor Swindells

vigil-cast-adam-sex-education

Connor Swindells plays Simon Hadlow an engineering officer who knows more about the murder of Craig Burke than he’s letting on.

Previously, Swindells played Adam in Sex Education- the homophobic bully-turned lover of Eric (let’s be honest, Adam really doesn’t deserve Eric).

Swindells is still very young so has only done a bit here and there. He played Mostyn in Harlots and Robert Martin in 2020 film Emma.

Paterson Joseph

vigil-cast-peep-show

Paterson Joseph plays Commander Neil Newsome, the big boss on the submarine who has to mediate between DCI Silva and Mark Prentice.

Joseph played the iconic Alan Johnson in Peep Show and more recently starred as Kamal Hadley in Noughts + Crosses.

Rose Leslie

Rose Leslie plays DS Kirsten Longacre who heads up the on-land investigation of the murder of Craig Burke.

Leslie played Ygritte in Game of Thrones and featured in Downton Abbey as Gwen Dawson.

Adam James

Adam James plays Mark Prentice, who has defo got some involvement in the death of Craig Burke.

He played Julian, one of the literary agents in I May Destroy You and is also Pegasus in none other than Johnny English Strikes Again.