danny

Women’s Aid issues statement over Danny’s ‘gaslighting’ and ‘manipulative’ behaviour

‘These are all tactics used by perpetrators of abuse’

Women’s Aid has issued a statement over its growing concern of Danny’s behaviour towards Lucinda following Monday night’s episode citing his actions as “manipulative”.

In a statement released yesterday the charity said Danny used tactics which are often used by perpetrators of abuse and said he had been gaslighting Lucinda.

They said: “Last night, we saw the development of Danny and Lucinda’s relationship and became increasingly concerned with his behaviour towards her on screen, including what looked like gaslighting, possessiveness, and manipulation. This is not what a healthy relationship looks like. These are all tactics used by perpetrators of abuse.”

Women’s Aid suggested the behaviour exhibited by Danny is an example of coercive control and urged the Love Island producers to not use the behaviour for entertainment.

They said: “Gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse which makes someone question their perception of reality. It is a form of coercive control, which has been a criminal offence since 2015.

“We urge the producers of Love Island to recognise coercive control when it is happening on the show, as this is not the first time it has happened. Producers should step in when any form of behaviour is abusive, as abuse should not be used for entertainment.”

women's aid danny

via ITV

During Monday night’s episode Danny attempted to get Lucinda with a “treat em mean, keep em keen” attitude after she expressed an interest in both Danny and Aaron.

Danny had been in the villa for around 24 hours and was irritated Lucinda hadn’t spoken to him after he made her an iced coffee one morning.

In the Snog, Marry, Pie challenge Danny chose to pie Lucinda for not chatting to him. Later that evening he went onto end their very short relationship because he was not into chasing girls.

In the episode he said he “likes to knock you down a couple of pegs” and proceed with the weirdest analogy in which he compared Lucinda to a black Lamborghini he couldn’t get to work as a way to break up with her before she got the chance to.

Throughout the episode people on Twitter were calling out his behaviour with one person saying he “reeks of toxicity” and another said he was “emotionally blackmailing” Lucinda.

If you or someone you know is experiencing abuse in a relationship, call the Freephone 24/7 National Domestic Violence Helpline, run by Women’s Aid in partnership with Refuge, on 0808 2000 247 or visit www.womensaid.org.uk.

Love Island 2021 continues on ITV2 at 9pm tonight. For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook. 

Featured image credit via ITV.