These 27 ‘green flags’ show just how low the bar has been set for men
21. When they ask you questions
Everyone has heard of red flags. They’re those early warning signs that mean you should run a mile from someone you’ve just started dating. They call their exes “crazy”, can never commit to a date or literally never apologise. But now people on TikTok have been sharing their green flags. They’re essentially the opposite of red flags – the signs someone is good for you and worth dating.
However the majority of green flags people are sharing on TikTok have seriously got me questioning why our standards for men have dropped so low. Seriously one person’s green flag is “asking you questions”. Is this just not human decent behaviour?
It’s happening on Love Island too. Lucinda got all excited when Brad finally asked her questions after many conversations in which he essentially just spoke about himself. Is this really where we’ve come to when dating men? Getting excited because they actually made a tiny little bit of effort? The bar is beyond low at this point.
And scrolling through the many green flag TikToks will make you realise how much we need to up our standards with dating. We’ve come to expect such poor and disinterested treatment from men that we will happily settle and think a guy is Romeo because he actually speaks to his parents with respect and texts you good morning.
These are the 27 most basic green flags that will make you realise how the bar is when it comes to dating:
1. They maintain eye contact during conversations
2. They’re kind to service workers
3. They hug when you say goodbye
4. They speak to their parents with respect
5. They’re not always on their phone
6. They move over to make room and offering a seat next to them
7. They can carry conversations
8. They reply fast
9. They give random compliments
10. They enjoy the sunrise and sunset
11. They’re a safe driver
12. They wait for you to get in your house when they drop you off
13. They text good morning and good night
14. They have snacks
15. They don’t shit on your interests
16. They’re Spotify users
17. They play with their dogs
18. They send full face pics
19. They ask you on dates rather than just hanging out
20. They share music with you
21. They ask you questions
22. They genuinely want to know how your day was
23. Their friends know about you
24. They get along with your friends
25. They can admit when they’re wrong
26. They don’t ask for nudes
27. When they do the thumb thing
Girls, seriously, these standards need to be raised.