There will be no restrictions on in-person uni teaching next term, says Gavin Williamson

Yet some universities have announced that blended learning is here to stay

There will be no restrictions on in-person teaching in universities after the country fully unlocks from Covid lockdown this month, Gavin Williamson has said.

The education secretary paved the way for the return of widespread in-person lectures – and the end of Zoom seminars – in a statement in the House of Commons this afternoon.

Yet a number of unis have already announced blended learning is here to stay. The University of Manchester faced fierce backlash after The Manchester Tab revealed it would be continuing blended learning indefinitely, with no discount in fees.

“I am also pleased to be able to say that there will be no restrictions on in-person teaching and learning in universities, unless students are advised to isolate or impacted by local outbreaks,” Williamson said this afternoon.

Along with Manchester, several other Russell Group unis have also confirmed online teaching will continue in September. Leeds, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Nottingham have all told students to expect blended learning next term.

Manchester’s Vice President April McMahon said that the new reality would “absolutely not” result in fee reductions.