kuwtk production secrets

After 20 seasons, these are all the behind the scenes facts from KUWTK you need to know

Keeping Up With The Kardashians wasn’t the original name for the show

Keeping Up With The Kardashians has finally come to an end after 20 seasons but before you start rewatching KUWTK from the beginning, these are all the production secrets from the show you need to know about.

There’s been nearly 15 years’ worth of filming and whilst making the show they created lot of strict rules for people to stick by. The crew always wore shoe covers in Kris’ home, everyone signs an NDA and Kris can basically hire whoever she wants. And why are we not surprised? This is momager Kris Jenner after all.

Not only that, but there’s a load of other behind the scenes facts people don’t know including the original name for the show and who is really in charge of the storylines.

These are all the KUWTK production secrets about how the show was created:

They use fake exteriors

via E!

All the time whilst watching the show we thought we were seeing the actual houses of the Kardashians. But it turns out the exterior shots are fake.

Though they film inside the girls’ actual homes, the exterior shots are different homes that they use to shoot for security reasons.

Kim and Kris are in charge of storylines

Obviously Kris runs the show, but her second in command is Kim who will also have a big impact in choosing storylines for the show.

Kim told The Hollywood Reporter she will often share things with the producers that her sisters might not bring up.

She said: “I think if you ask the crew, I probably produce the most because I know what my sisters might not be sharing. So I’ll tell them, ‘Go over to Kourt’s house right now. Something is going on.’”

Kris deletes footage she doesn’t like

via E!

According to a source in OK! Magazine Kris is the only family member who can have a say in the footage.

She will reportedly get rid of any footage she doesn’t like, most importantly the times when her hair looks bad.

Crew members have to wear shoe covers

Kris’ black and white tiled floor is an iconic set from the show. It always looks perfect and there’s a reason for that.

The crew all have to wear shoe covers when inside the house.

They get their makeup done for hours before

via E!

The reason they all look so good during the show, even just chilling in sweats is because they spend hours in hair and makeup before they begin a long filming day.

Kris is said to take an hour to have hers done and Kim’s hair and makeup takes two hours.

Kendall and Kylie got their nails done every week

Even when Kendall and Kylie were young on the show they were still involved in the glam.

Kendall revealed Kris alwasy wanted them to look polished so she would have a nail artist come to the house once a week.

She said: “She would have a nail artist come to the house once a week and she would make us get our nails done. She was like, ‘You are never going to look like you’re not put together.’ So we were always getting them done.”

Everyone has to sign an NDA

Where there’s Kardashians there’s NDAs. Everyone who goes on the show has to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement).

And it’s not just the cast but all the crew have to sign them as well. Kris reportedly has a stack in her office ready to go. I’d expect nothing less from her.

The family pays for the trips

via E!

Some of the best episodes of the show have been the family’s trips around the world.

You’d naturally assume the show and production pays for it. However the family actually foots the bill.

During an episode after the Costa Rica trip Kourtney complained she was being sent a bill.

She said: “Why am I being sent this other huge bill? Why isn’t production chipping in if we’re using it for the show?”

Kris hires whoever she wants

In 2014 a source told the NY Daily News Kris Jenner can just offer people money and have them join the show.

They said: “The way that the Kardashians’ [show] is set up is very unusual. It’s the only show that I know of where a producer can say, ‘Here’s the cast and this is what they’re getting paid.’

“Usually, to add a cast member to a show, you’d have to fire a cast member to keep the budget balanced. But in this case, Kris just offered French Montana a check to be in the show. He’s expensive, and some people at E! just don’t think he’s worth the money.”

Kris if you’re looking, I will happily join the show.

They fake scenes

via E!

The sweet moment Khloé found out she was pregnant with True was caught on camera, however some suspect that wasn’t the first time she found out.

According to The Cut, the timeline of events doesn’t match up and Khloé likely already knew she was pregnant when she took the test on the show.

They reshoot big moments

Despite being a reality show, the family still rehearses and reshoots big scenes.

For example Kris Humphries’ proposal to Kim was reshot as she didn’t like her reaction the first time around. According to court documents the producer Russell Jay said Kim wanted to redo it as she wasn’t happy with her reaction.

Kim also basically knew the proposal was happening as Kris had to propose during the day because it would give better lighting. Which is completely fair.

A source told Radar Online: “First of all, Kris proposed in the middle of the day, and he had to do that because it would create better lighting to capture the moment.

“Kim looked so surprised but she knew it was happening. She was in full hair and makeup, as she always is on the show. Kris wanted it to be very intimate and romantic, but all his ideas were shot down by production officials and Kim.”

Kendall had a rule about her dating life

kuwtk production secrets

via E!

During the show we basically never got to see Kendall talk about her dating life and this was completely intentional.

According to executive producer of the show, Farnaz Farjam, Kendall had a rule about her dating life. Farnaz explained Kendall would only have someone on the show if they’d been together for over a year.

Farnaz said: “Kendall’s always had this rule, which she felt like she had to be with someone for at least a year before she lets them be a part of the show and in the show.

“Because she doesn’t always know what people’s intentions are. So that’s why we kind of kept her personal life out of it, just because she had a rule.”

It’s a shame she didn’t date Harry Styles for years otherwise we could have seen him with Kris and co.

Keeping Up With The Kardashians wasn’t the original name

The name of the show wasn’t always the actual name of the show.

In 2007 the producers came up with a variety of names including “Living Kardashian” and “Kardashians: Krazy With A K”.

However the name was inspired by the producer Farnaz who said she turned up to a meeting but didn’t have any ideas.

So she said “too busy keeping up with the Kardashians” as an excuse and the team all loved it.

Kanye didn’t want to be in the show but helped with creative direction

kuwtk production secrets

via E!

When Kim and Kanye first started dating Kanye didn’t want to be on camera, however he does occasionally pop up and even Kim has no idea when he will.

She told The Hollywood Reporter: “Kanye was like, ‘I’m not a part of the show. That’s not what I do. I have my own career and life’. He’ll really surprise you though. He’ll be like, ‘I’m not filming’ and then randomly show up.”

But just because he’s not in front of the camera he has no problem getting involved behind the scenes. According to the president of E!, Kanye inputted his thoughts on marketing, presentation and the title sequence of the show.

Two seasons of Keeping Up With The Kardashians are available on Netflix UK. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.