Explained: All the reasons why Trisha Paytas decided to leave the Frenemies podcast

Apparently Ethan spoke over them when they wanted to talk about LGBTQ+ rights

Last night Trisha Paytas announced they are leaving the Frenemies podcast. They uploaded a 22 minute YouTube video titled “Stepping down from Frenemies” which has already hit over one million views.

In the video they explained their reasons behind stepping down from the podcast which they hosted with their co-host, Ethan Klein, since September 2020, saying Ethan had hired a new crew member without informing them about the decision.

Trisha was also annoyed by Ethan allegedly speaking over them all the time. Trisha mentioned a specific time recently when they claimed they wanted to speak about LGBTQ+ rights but he kept talking over them.

Trisha Paytas’ announcement saying they were leaving the Frenemies podcast happened after an argument which took place during this week’s episode. Ethan and Trisha had a disagreement about the work they each put into the podcast and as a result the production crew expressed they were unhappy with Trisha and requested to pause the recording of the show for a week.

So, why did Trisha decide to leave the Frenemies podcast?

Their podcast, Frenemies, is a space to address social issues and call out other online creators for their problematic behaviour. It is produced by a company called H3H3 which is owned by Ethan, the other co-host.

In their YouTube video, Trisha said: “I had this feeling in my heart that I need to step away from Frenemies and it’s really with a heavy heart that I say that.

“It’s been my stability, my regular thing once a week that I absolutely look forward to. I really love doing the show”, they added.

Trisha explained Ethan does not tell them who he is hiring, in the YouTube video they said: “Leaving Frenemies sucks. But my issue was when he was like ‘why do I have to tell you about things that I’m doing, like people I hire and stuff like that.’

“Because he hired someone new, which I have no issue with like they’re a lovely person, but I was like oh I thought I would get to have a say.”

“There was a couple triggers for me and Ethan says we shouldn’t have to walk on eggshells and some people agree with him. And maybe that is true right? Like that problably is true and I’m probably not seeing something everyone else is seeing. I also don’t want to put him in the position where he has to walk on eggshells because that’s not fair to anyone.”

In the video, Trisha claims Ethan and the production crew were upset with Trisha for how they reacted to certain topics. However, Trisha claims what upset them was when they wanted to talk about gay rights and hate crimes against the LGBTQ+ community but Ethan would continuously talk over them.

As well as this, Trisha alleged that prior to Monday’s episode going out, “there were a lot of things” they didn’t feel right about but they didn’t go into details.

Towards the end of the video, Trish said how Ethan always has their back in every situation and their choice to leave Frenemies isn’t because of him, it is because they’re not feeling their best in the situation anymore.

“I’m not good at expressing myself, that’s probably why I don’t hire assistants. I need help,” they said, “I do need help but I’m so scared because I know how I am around other people. I get high stress and high anxiety.”

Paytas went on to say they hope that Klein continues Frenemies with another co-host, but that it’s not working for them anymore.

Ethan’s response to Trisha Paytas leaving the Frenemies podcast

Ethan revealed on Twitter that he had no idea Trisha was going to leave the Frenemies podcast. He said: “I am honestly gutted over this whole thing, Trisha’s video this morning was a total surprise to me. I don’t really know what more I can say or do. I’m very sorry to all the fans of frenemies, I know how much it meant to everyone, I did everything I humanly could to save it.”

Later he went on to Tweet: “At the end of the day, Frenemies was a beautiful experiment that I will always cherish. I’ve learned and grown so much from the experience and have Trisha to thank for that. She’s been a dear friend of mind throughout, and I’ll always be grateful for all she’s done for us.”