Line of Duty, watch next, series, like, shows, BBC

Line of Duty is over, so here are 10 more gritty British dramas to fill the void

I’m not ready to say goodbye tbh

We all need to accept that, at least until we get some news about whether it’s going to be coming back, Line of Duty is over. Whether or not you were fuming at the ending, or accepted that all the story arcs were completed and the ending was at least some closure, you’re probably clucking for more of that nitty British crime drama in your life. So, before you go stir crazy trying to find something on Netflix or iPlayer, here’s a straight forward list of series which are like Line of Duty, and will help you fill the void.

No, they don’t all contain the sex god that is Steve Arnott, or even an iconic trio of Kate, Steve and Ted. But these shows are full of drama, twists and turns and plenty of edge of your seat shootouts.

Vigil

Vigil, Martin Compston, Line of Duty, series like, shows, series, crime, drama, BBC, watch next, The Nest, Martin Compston

via BBC

You definitely watched the ad for new BBC series, Vigil, after the Line of Duty finale, saw Martin Compston and got interested. If you need more Martin Compston in your life (don’t we all), then this is for you.

The synopsis for the new series reads: “The mysterious disappearance of a Scottish fishing trawler and a death on-board the submarine HMS Vigil bring the police into conflict with the Navy and British security services. DCI Amy Silva (Suranne Jones) and DS Kirsten Longacre (Rose Leslie) lead an investigation on land and at sea into a conspiracy that goes to the very heart of Britain’s national security.”

Six episodes will be on BBC later this year.

The Serpent

via BBC

The Serpent is a dramatised version of the true story of The Serpent, or the “Bikini Killer”, as he came to be known. Charles Sobhraj is French thief and serial killer who preyed on young tourists backpacking in India, Nepal and Thailand, murdering them and stealing from them. The series tells the story of his crimes, those who helped him commit them and the people who sought to have him caught. From 1974 to 1975 he killed 12 people, but the total number of his victims is thought to be at least 30.

The series aired on BBC in the UK, and is currently available on Netflix in the US.

The Fall

The Fall, Line of Duty, series like, shows, series, crime, drama, BBC, watch next

via BBC / Netflix

Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan. Do I need to say anything more? Jamie Dornan plays a serial killer, whilst Gillian Anderson is the slick, silk shirt wearing detective drafted in to try and hunt him down. The killer is living a double life, a family man by day and twisted murderer by night.

Bloodlands

via BBC

Line of Duty kind of ripped us off with the most insignificant cameo ever from James Nesbitt. So if you want a crime drama that actually has him for more than just a mugshot, he’s the lead in Bloodlands. He plays DCI Tom Brannick, who is trying to crack an old cold murder case which has links to his own past. It’s by Line of Duty creator Jed Mercurio too, so you know you’re in safe hands.

Happy Valley

via BBC / Netflix

British crime series, Happy Valley, has a Rotten Tomatoes ranking of 98 per cent and has won five BAFTAs, s0 you know it must be good. The synopsis for the series says: “Yorkshire police sergeant Catherine Cawood pursues the man who assaulted her late daughter, unaware he is now part of a secret kidnapping plot.”

The Bay

via ITV

The Bay was on ITV and follows DS Armstrong in the search for teenage twins who have gone missing in a coastal town. But she has a personal connection to the case which she’d definitely prefer stayed private.

Luther

via BBC

Luther is another British crime drama that fans of will forever tell you it’s the best one they’ve ever watched. It stars Idris Elba (which should sell the show to you alone) as a detective who is struggling with his own inner demons, meaning he can at times be equally as dangerous as those he is hunting down. The synopsis reads: “John Luther, a passionate detective, ends up befriending a psychopath and murderer, whom he could not arrest due to lack of evidence, and they solve various cases together.”

Bodyguard

via BBC / Netflix

Bodyguard is a British crime drama about David Budd, a war veteran turned police bodyguard who is assigned to protect the Home Secretary. He gets stuck in assassination plots, terrorism threats and the drama is through the roof. Without any spoilers, this show is one of those that will have you clicking “next episode” over and over again.

The Nest

Line of Duty, series like, shows, series, crime, drama, BBC, watch next, The Nest, Martin Compston

via BBC

More Martin Compston? Of course. The Nest is a little less in-your-face crime-y, but there definitely is crime in the thriller series. It focuses on mega-rich couple Dan (Martin Compston) and Emily, who have been trying for a baby for years without success. They then agree to conceive through a young surrogate, who they know nothing about. And it’s safe to say, they soon learn a lot about her.

Line of Duty, again

Line of Duty, series like, shows, series, crime, drama, BBC, watch next

via BBC

No I’m not going crazy and have forgotten what the purpose of this article is – if you’ve just finished series six then watching Line of Duty from the start is seriously like watching a whole other programme. The power of hindsight means you see things so differently now. You’ll be pointing out Hs and bent coppers like you work at AC-12 yourself. All previous seasons are on iPlayer now.