India Reynolds says there’s a ‘huge misrepresentation of women’s bodies’ on Love Island

‘It’s mad that I was considered curvy on the show’

Love Island star India Reynolds has said the show misrepresents women’s bodies, and that she was shocked to be considered “curvy” during her time in the villa.

She told the Sun: “It was mad that I was considered curvy on the show. I’m a dress size 10, which is smaller than average.”

“When I came out, I realised there was a huge misrepresentation of women’s bodies because if people are looking at me and thinking I’m the curvy one then the general scale is way off.”

India starred in the 2019 series of the show, when controversy over the lack of body diversity in the cast began to mount.

The show’s creative director, Richard Cowles, even claimed the cast wouldn’t be attracted to plus size contestants.

“First and foremost, it’s an entertainment show and it’s about people wanting to watch who you’ve got on screen falling in love with one another,” Cowles told Radio Times.

“Yes, we want to be as representative as possible but we also want them to be attracted to one another.

The same year, plus size model Jada Sezer was rumoured to be going into the villa, but later revealed she turned the show down over concerns about how she’d be portrayed.

“Being plus size is part of who I am and this is precisely why, after a lot of consideration, I said no when I was approached by producers on Instagram and asked to appear on Love Island this year.” Sezer wrote in the Sun.

“Everything I’ve built up as an advocate for body positivity might have been misinterpreted.”