nigella lawson bafta

Nigella’s ‘meecrowavvey’ scene has been nominated for a BAFTA award

Finally getting the respect she deserves

Nigella Lawson and her famous “meecrowavvey” scene have been nominated for a BAFTA award, yes really.

The iconic moment appeared on Nigella’s show “Cook, Eat, Repeat” late last year and had everyone dying over her pronunciation of microwave as she heated up milk for some very creamy looking mash.

The scene is one of the nominees in the Virgin Media Must See Moment Award category and is voted for the by the public. Nigella has some stiff competition for the award as she is up against some truly iconic moments of TV this year.

Also nominated in the category is the scene from Bridgerton in which Penelope is revealed as Lady Whistledown. Diversity’s dance performance about Black Lives Matter on Britain’s Got Talent is also up for the award.

Other scenes up for nomination are Gogglebox’s response to the pandemic press conference, the killing of Chantelle in Eastenders and Luke Skywalker’s appearance in the Mandalorian.

But in all honesty, Nigella probably has it in the bag. The scene was iconic television – there were memes, it appeared on Gogglebox and Nigella spoke out frequently about the scene.

She had to explain why she pronounced microwave as “meecrowavvey” and said she knows that’s not how it’s actually pronounced but that it was a family joke.

She said: “Well, I do say it like that, but not because that’s how I think it’s actually pronounced. I don’t know. A camp joke that becomes habit.”

Honestly just give Nigella Lawson the BAFTA now.

To vote for Nigella head to the Virgin Media website