sophie's dad mamma mia

This TikToker figured out who Sophie’s dad is in Mamma Mia and it’s pretty convincing

It all makes so much sense

There are certain questions that plague humanity for years and year. They’re debated, argued over, and we never really get a solid answer to them. Such as what happens when you die? Why do we dream? Are we alone in the universe? And most importantly – who is Sophie’s dad in Mamma Mia?

The whole premise of the first Mamma Mia film is Sophie not knowing who her father is out of a potential three men and so she invites all three to her wedding in the hope of finding out. She never finds out as she loves the idea of having all three of them as her dad. That’s great for you Sophie, but what about the rest of us? We want answers.

The Mamma Mia fandom has lengthy arguments over who it could be. Everyone proving points and counter arguments, even the musical director said Bill was the father, but now someone on TikTok has done a lot of digging to prove that actually Sam is the father.

TikToker Sarah created a video, that has since been viewed over one million times, presenting her evidence for why Sam is actually the father.

This is all her evidence:

The song ‘Our Last Summer’

Sarah argues the scene in which they sing “Our Last Summer” highlights all the traits Sophie could have got from her potential fathers, but Sam is the only one to have a skill Donna couldn’t have given to Sophie.

She says: “In the song ‘Our Last Summer’ all the potential dads are shown exhibiting traits they could’ve passed down to Sophie to hint that any of them could be the father. However only Sam exhibits something that Donna couldn’t have given Sophie.

“Harry is musical as is Donna. Bill is adventurers as is Donna. Sam is artistic which Donna is never shown as specifically being and so by the narrative logic of the filming Sam is the baby daddy.”

Sarah shows this all nicely in a powerpoint presentation with side by side images of Donna doing the same things as Harry and Bill.

The real maths of it all

The song scene isn’t the only evidence Sarah presents, she gets really into the statistics.

With the help of a pie chart cleverly called the “dot dot dot statistics”, she illustrates that Sam is statistically more likely to be the father as he and Donna had a week long affair, therefore sleeping together more. Whereas Harry and Bill only slept with Donna once.

She said: “Now let’s do some maths. Harry and Bill canonically slept with Donna once each. Whereas Sam and Donna had at least a week long affair meaning it’s statistically far more likely that Sam is the father.”

The blonde debate

Many people on Twitter argue Bill has to be the father as he has blonde hair as does Donna, and you can only have a blonde child if both parents have blonde hair.

This is not true at all, as Sarah points out with a punnett square (the thing you did in GCSE biology that predicts genotypes).

She says: “Alright I see a lot of dumb people on Twitter being like it has to be Bill, just do a punnett square.

“I need you all to know that not blondes can have blonde children. Case in point Meryl Streep’s literal children. There’s no reason to think Sam couldn’t have a blonde child.”

But Bill is hot

A lot of people seem to think because young Bill and young Donna have undeniable sexual chemistry that means he’s the father.

But after reading all Sarah’s evidence, I have to agree with her – no matter how hot Bill is, Sam is still the father. Sorry to disappoint you all.

Mamma Mia! is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.