Regé-Jean Page reportedly turned down £250k to be in Bridgerton season two

He was asked to be in up to five episodes, but said no

Bridgerton star Regé-Jean Page reportedly turned down a pretty impressive sum of £250,000 to appear in the show’s second season. Last week, it was announced that the actor, who plays the Duke of Hastings, wasn’t going to be appearing in the second series of the Netflix drama.

A source close to the show has told The Hollywood Reporter that Regé-Jean Page was offered an opportunity to return as a guest star in three to five episodes of season two, but declined for “a multitude of reasons.” He was offered the gig at £50,000 an episode, so if he accepted the top offer of being in five, he would have been paid a quarter of a million pounds for his appearances.

One of the main reasons he is thought to have declined is so that he can focus on a career in film. Page recently finished filming new Netflix film The Gray Man, which is the most expensive feature film Netflix has ever produced. It also stars Chris Evans, Ryan Gosling and Ana de Armas. His next appearance will be Paramount’s Dungeons and Dragons and, according to The Hollywood Reporter article, Regé-Jean Page has been “flooded” with offers since Bridgerton.

Regé-Jean Page, Netflix, Bridgerton, Duke of Hastings, season two, turned down, cash, offer

via Netflix

It is believed that it was always the plan for the Duke of Hastings to only be in one season of the show, following the Julia Quinn novels the series is based on. However, sources say the production team at the show reached out to Page in January or February with an offer to return – after it was seen how popular he and the show had been.

Announcing the news of his departure on Twitter, Netflix said: “Dearest Readers, while all eyes turn to Lord Anthony Bridgerton’s quest to find a Viscountess, we bid adieu to Regé-Jean Page, who so triumphantly played the Duke of Hastings.

“We’ll miss Simon’s presence onscreen, but he will always be a part of the Bridgerton family. Daphne will remain a devoted wife and sister, helping her brother navigate the upcoming social season and what it has to offer – more intrigue and romance than my readers may be able to bear.”

Regé-Jean Page added: “Pleasure and a privilege! An honour to be a member of the family – on and off screen, cast, crew and incredible fans – the love is real and will just keep growing.”

When asked by The Hollywood Reporter, reps for Netflix, producers Shondaland and Page declined comment.

For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.