The extra revelations that were left out of Oprah’s interview with Meghan and Harry

Harry said no members of the royal family have apologised to them for the reasons they left

Harry and Meghan’s explosive interview with Oprah last night has sent UK and global audiences reeling at the revelations made by the couple. Meghan disclosed how her mental health suffered, claimed a member of the royal family asked how dark Archie’s skin would be, and Harry exposed how fractious his and Prince Charles’ relationship has become.

The two hour long interview covered a wide range of topics and dramas spanning their relationship, but some of the revelations didn’t make the final cut and were instead dropped after the interview had aired. Details such as Meghan’s reaction to her father selling stories to the tabloids and claims that the couple were suddenly dropped from a visit to the Queen in her Norfolk residence were filmed, but not included.

Here’s everything the Harry and Meghan interview with Oprah missed out: 

harry meghan interview

Harry’s invitation to see the Queen at Sandringham was revoked

In a clip later released by CBS This Morning, Harry revealed his invitation to visit the Queen for a private meeting was scrapped last minute. According to Harry, the Queen had requested he come for a chat, dinner and to stay over once he and Meghan arrived in the UK from Canada, but he was suddenly told to stay away by her press secretaries once he landed.

“My grandmother had said ‘the moment you land, come up to Sandringham, we’d love to have a chat, come for tea, why don’t you stay for dinner because it’s going to be a long drive and you’re going to be exhausted?'”, Harry said.

Once they landed however, the offer was immediately revoked.

“The moment we landed in the UK I got a message from my private secretary Fiona, cutting and pasting a message from the Queen’s private secretary, basically saying please pass along to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex that he cannot come to Norfolk.

“The Queen is busy. She’s busy all week.”

Harry called the Queen from Frogmore Cottage asking if he could still see her, but was told by the Queen that her diary was now full.

“Yes, there’s something in my diary that I didn’t know I had”, the Queen allegedly told Harry.

“What about the rest of the week?” Harry said, to which the Queen allegedly replied: “That’s busy now as well.”

Oprah asked Harry why the Queen couldn’t change her plans on the account that she is the top of the food chain, to which Harry replied: “When you’re the head of The Firm, there is people around you that give you advice. And what has also made me really sad is that some of that advice has been really bad.”

harry meghan interview

Oprah asked whether any of Harry’s family had reached out to say sorry for the couple feeling like they had to leave The Firm for things to get better.

“No sadly not”, Harry answered. “The feeling is that this is our decision therefore the consequences are on us.”

Meghan spoke about her father’s involvement in selling stories to the tabloids

Meghan’s relationship with her father has been in the papers since the weeks leading up to their wedding, which Thomas Markle didn’t attend. It was leaked that he was working with the tabloids, however it wasn’t brought up in the final cut of the Harry and Meghan interview.

When asked if it felt like betrayal that her father was selling stories to the tabloids, Meghan said: “If we’re going to use the word betrayal it’s because when I asked him…when we were told by the comms team this is a story that’s going to be coming out which, by the way, the tabloids have apparently known for a month or so and decided to hold for a Sunday before our wedding because they wanted to create drama, we called my dad and we asked him and he said no, absolutely not.”

Meghan offered to get the palace to “kill the story” and further asked if he had any involvement, but he could not provide an answer.

“I genuinely can’t imagine doing anything to intentionally cause pain to my child”, Meghan said, “so it’s hard for me to reconcile that.”

Oprah asked Meghan about her relationship with her half-sister

Meghan’s half sister Samantha has publicly come out against Meghan on multiple occasions, and is now even reportedly writing a “tell-all” book about Meghan.

“I think it would be hard to tell all when you don’t know me”, Meghan told Oprah.

“I don’t feel comfortable talking about people I don’t know. The last time I saw her must have been 18, 19 years ago? She changed her last name back to Markle only when I started dating Harry. So I think that says enough.”

harry meghan interview

Harry said it would make a ‘huge’ difference to him if the family acknowledged racism in the tabloids

Throughout the interview Harry spoke about his attempts to discuss the tabloids often racist stories, with Meghan adding her disappointment of The Firm’s silence in correcting stories or standing up for her. Harry said it would make a “huge” difference to him if this was acknowledged by the family.

“There’s a lot of people who have seen it for what it was, it’s talked about across the world, yet the very people who don’t want to see it, or can’t see it, chose not to see it”, Harry said.

Oprah confirmed neither the Queen nor Prince Philip made the comment about Archie’s skin colour

Speaking to CBS This Morning, Oprah said neither Harry nor Meghan revealed to her privately who made the comment questioning what colour Archie’s skin would be.

“He did not share the identity with me, but he wanted me to make sure that I knew, and if I had an opportunity to share it, that it was not his grandmother nor grandfather that were part of those conversations”, Oprah said.

Oprah with Meghan and Harry is available to watch on ITV Hub

Related Meghan and Harry interview stories recommended by this writer:

These 31 Meghan and Harry interview memes are almost as jaw dropping as the interview

Harry and Meghan net worth: Ok, so how much money does the couple actually have?