Ranked: The 12 most expensive shows and films Netflix has ever made

Just the new season of Stranger Things alone cost $300million

Do you ever wonder what your monthly Netflix subscription cost actually goes on? Do you, or whoever pays for the account you leech on, really need to pay as much as you do every month? Well it kind of looks as though the answer is yes, because the most expensive shows and films Netflix is producing are costing hundreds and hundreds of millions.

From high budget action films, to period dramas that are royal in all senses – Netflix loves to splash the cash.  Here is the full ranking of those shows who rinse our subscription fees the most – the most expensive shows and films Netflix has ever produced. I cannot even begin to fathom this much money.

12. Bridgerton – $112million

via Netflix

Costing $112million in total to produce, it costs Netflix around $7million per episode for Bridgerton. A huge chunk of that is spent on the cast wages, incredible set designs and costumes. It’s worth it, if you ask me.

11. The Get Down – $120million

via Netflix

2016 American musical drama series, The Get Down, is said to have cost around $11million per episode. The show is split into two parts, with 11 episodes in total. At the time, it was the most expensive original series in Netflix’s history and was cancelled after not being as successful as originally hoped.

10. 6 Underground – $150million

most expensive Netflix shows, expensive, production, cost, episode, series, film, movie, budget, Netflix, 6 Underground

via Netflix

6 Underground was released on Netflix in December 2019 and is in the top five most watched Netflix titles ever released. This probably makes the $150million spent on it feel like a drop in the ocean. But if you’re going to have a film with Ryan Reynolds in it, you need to make it look good.

9. The Irishman – $160million

most expensive Netflix shows, expensive, production, cost, episode, series, film, movie, budget, Netflix, The Irishman

via Netflix

The Irishman movie is also one of the most watched Netflix titles ever, so it was worth every buck Netflix threw at it. One thing that probably cost loads was the CGI used to de-age cast members. De Niro, Joe Pesci, and Al Pacino were all made more youthful – created from artificial-intelligence software, first-of-its-kind motion-capture technology, and an experimental three-camera rigging system (whatever all that means) that made their skin softer and gave them a youthful glow. The budget of the film was an estimated $160million.

8. Red Notice – $200million

via Netflix

Red Notice was released on Netflix in 2021. The film, starring Dwayne Johnson, Gal Gadot and Ryan Reynolds, is based in the world of international crime, where an Interpol agent attempts to hunt down and capture the world’s most wanted art thief. It had a budget of $200million.

7. The Gray Man – $200million

via Netflix

The Gray Man is yet to be released on Netflix, after production has been delayed multiple times due to the global pandemic. However, since the espionage thriller was announced it was said to be Netflix’s most expensive original film to date – with Avengers: Endgame directors Joe and Anthony Russo behind it, and Ryan Gosling, Regé-Jean Page and Chris Evans as stars. The budget is said to be about $200million.

6. Marco Polo – $200million

Marco Polo

via Netflix

Each of the 20 episodes of Marco Polo, about the legendary explorer, cost Netflix an estimated $10million. It was a big budget series which looked as though it was going to be competition for Game of Thrones. But, it was cancelled after two seasons with pretty average viewing figures.

5. Sense8 – $216million

Sense8

via Netflix

The 2015 sci-fi drama series Sense8 just makes into the top five of the most expensive shows and films Netflix has ever made. The show had 24 episodes in total, which cost $9million each – making the entire budget an estimated $216million. The show was cancelled after two seasons, because it didn’t have a big enough viewership to balance the huge production costs.

4. Stranger Things 4 – $300million

via Netflix

It’s no surprise that Stranger Things is one of the most expensive shows for Netflix to make – what with all those mad effects and monsters running all over the place. Each episode of season four is said to have cost $30million – meaning the entire season has had a budget of around $300million. And there have been four seasons all together, so that’s just the start! But it’s a Netflix fan favourite – over 64 million households tuned into season three. 

3. Orange Is The New Black – $364million

most expensive Netflix shows, expensive, production, cost, episode, series, film, movie, Orange Is The New Black, budget, Netflix

via Netflix

Orange Is The New Black was mainly so expensive because it ran for so long. It was one of Netflix’s first ever series and quickly became a fan fav, with a huge seven seasons. Despite being set in a prison, the production was pretty expensive. Each of the 91 episodes cost an estimated $4million to make, costing Netflix $364million in total.

2. House of Cards – $365million

House of Cards

via Netflix

House of Cards is largely received as the series which invented Netflix. It helped establish the site as the place to find the best original TV shows and films. So, it’s no wonder a lot of money went into it. The 73 episodes of the show cost $5million each over six years – meaning the overall budget was around $365million.

1. The Crown – $520million

most expensive Netflix shows, expensive, production, cost, episode, series, film, movie, The Crown, budget, Netflix

via Netflix

Ok, so The Crown is hella expensive to make, like ridiculously so. It has cost Netflix over half a BILLION so far. When it was first released, it was rumoured to be the most expensive show Netflix has ever put together, and the rumours were true. The first two seasons are said to have cost $100million each to make and season four cost around $144million. Putting together all of those royal sets, costumes and god knows what else costs an estimated $13million per episode. Whew.

For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.