Bridgerton’s Nicola Coughlan reveals huge Lady Whistledown clue you definitely missed

It was right there in front of our eyes the entire time!!

Bridgerton star Nicola Coughlan, who plays Penelope Featherington, has revealed a huge clue we were given about the identity of the infamous Lady Whistledown – in the very first scene. Yep, it was right there in front of our very eyes right at the start.

Obviously, this article contains spoilers – but if you haven’t watched all of Bridgerton by now, what are you doing? 

The biggest mystery of the hit series was who Lady Whistledown was, and how she managed to know everything about everyone, to write in her scandalous column. It wasn’t until right at the end of the season that we found out the identity of her as being none other than seemingly innocent Penelope Featherington.

But Nicola Coughlan has revealed on Twitter that the answer was teased to us in episode one. On Twitter she said: “Ok I’m just curious, has anyone spotted the massive Easter Egg about Penelope in the very first scene of Bridgerton?”

She then revealed that in the first scene where we meet Penelope, she had chosen a prop to hold. And you’ll never guess what – it was only Lady Whistledown’s feather writing quill.

How did I miss this???? I thought I was a Bridgerton obsessive??? Am I a fake fan??? We were all probably eagerly awaiting the entrance of the Duke, surely.

Bridgerton, Netflix, Penelope Featherington, Lady Whistledown, clue, easter egg

via Netflix

If you want to go back to see the Lady Whistledown clue, literally 50 seconds in to the first episode of Bridgerton we are introduced to the Featherington family – and Penelope is stood there with the feather in her hand as bright as day.

via Netflix

Season one of Bridgerton is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.