Where is viral ‘fish and a rice cake’ guy now? On First Dates, that’s where

No, he didn’t order the fish

Remember the video of the guy who said he would eat “fish and a rice cake” all day long? Well if you’re wondering what he’s up to these days, he appeared on First Dates this week.

We were introduced to Danny Andrews, a 30-year-old barbershop owner from Preston, and it wasn’t until about half way through his date that he made the shock confession that he was the guy in the classic video. “I have to pretend it’s funny. But I’m crying inside”, he said.

fish and a rice cake, fish, rice cakes, guy, YouTube, video, clip, now, meme, First Dates, who, Danny Andrews

via Channel 4

He went on to explain that friends and even strangers still tag him in posts of and about the video, like he doesn’t know already that the clip has gone viral and it’s him in it. He said that past dates have realised it’s him from the video, and have “phased” him out. He added that now he’s looking for a girl who isn’t “judgmental” over the video.

The infamous fish and a rice cake video went viral in 2008, and is a clip from BBC Three documentary Baby Faced Bodybuilders. Danny says that in his quest to get the bodybuilder body, he had a diet of literally nothing but fish and rice cakes.

He says: “At eight o’clock in the morning, I’ll have fish and a rice cake. At 10 o’clock, I’ll have fish. At 12 o’clock, I’ll have fish and a rice cake. At two o’clock, I’ll have fish. At four o’clock, just before I train, I’ll have fish and a rice cake. I’ll train and I’ll have me fish and I’ll come home, have some more fish with a rice cake and then have some fish before I go to bed and that’s it for the day.”

via Instagram @dannyandrews__

In 2019, Danny caught up with LadBible and he had got his goal, he’s absolutely stacked. He said: “My diet was only that for the last two weeks before my show – I don’t actually like fish. Instead of saying I have eight meals of fish a day, and every other meal I have a rice cake, I was trying to work out times. So it makes me appear absolutely stupid, fitting the stereotype of the typical bodybuilder.

“At the time I was so embarrassed, but I have embraced it. I look completely different now when I say I’m into the gym people ask if I’m on the fish and the rice cakes, not knowing it’s me.”

via Instagram @dannyandrews__

The 30-year-old now owns “Danny’s barbershop” in Preston, and whilst his date on First Dates didn’t work out, he’ll be back on the show next week to go on a date with someone else who caught his eye in the restaurant.

On his Instagram, every single post still has at least one comment of “fish and a rice cake for tea tonight?” or similar. I guess he never will fully live it down.

You can watch Danny’s episode of First Dates on demand now.