When the hell is Sex Education season three coming out? Here’s everything we know

Asa Butterfield says Otis has become more sassy

Look I don’t know about you, but I could really do with Sex Education season three right now. January is usually the time Netflix blesses us with an update on the lives of Otis and Maeve, but due to coronavirus filming was delayed, meaning we have to wait a lil bit longer before seeing horny teenagers dry humping and trying to figure out the clock fingering technique again.

But, the good news is we’re slowly getting details of the next instalment of Sex Education. Asa Butterfield has revealed Otis gets a bit more sassy, plus there’s three new cast members joining the school. Here’s what you need to know about Sex Education season three:

sex education season three

Is there a Sex Education three release date? 

The short answer is no, there’s not. A fake poster fooled everyone into thinking it was coming out in January 2021, but the branding was from season two and if you were a real fan you would’ve known that.

Sex Education was renewed in February 2020 after season two came out, but Covid caused filming to be delayed. Netflix confirmed production for S3 started in September 202o, meaning the usual January start date wasn’t happening.

Speaking about how coronavirus has affected filming, Asa told Deadline: “It’s quite hard to keep the two-metre distance when you’re kissing someone or doing anything else. I’m sure that’s something they have realised. As well as that, when you’re on a set making film and TV, there are so many parts to this machine. It will make it incredibly difficult to enforce a rule around quarantine, but you have to because this virus is going to be around for ages. Luckily that’s not my job to figure those things out.”

Sex Education season three is expected to be released in the first half of this year.

Sex education season three

Are there any new cast members?

All of the main cast members will be back for season three, including Asa Butterfield as Otis, Aimee Lou Wood as Aimee, Emma Mackey as Maeve, Gillian Anderson as Jean, Ncuti Gatwa as Eric, Connor Swindells as Adam, Kedar Williams-Stirling as Jackson and Mimi Keene as Ruby.

Three newbies will also be joining: Jemima Kirke as the new headteacher, Jason Isaacs as Mr Groff’s brother, and Dua Saleh as school pupil Cal.

Jemima plays Hope. She’s taken over from Mr Groff, and hopes to restore the school back to its former reputation.

Jason Isaac’s (Malfoy’s dad in Harry Potter) plays Peter. After Mr Groff was booted out of the house, he goes to stay with his brother Peter, so we’ll be seeing more of how Groff gets on in his new bachelor life.

Dua Saleh’s character Cal is a non-binary student at Moordale. They’re set to go head-to-head with new headteacher Hope.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by DUA SALEH (@doitlikedua)

What is going to happen in Sex Education season three? 

We don’t know much, but Asa Butterfield recently revealed there’s a time-jump since the previous season. If you don’t remember, S2 ended on a major cliffhanger with Isaac deleting Otis’ voicemail to Maeve telling her he loves her.

In season three, Otis and Maeve’s relationship is still developing (seriously if they aren’t boyfriend and girlfriend by the end I’ll be fuming) and he’s got a bit more sassy. Asa also revealed he has a bad tash for some of it – lockdown facial hair anyone?

Asa told The Guardian: “There’s a bit of a time-jump since the season two cliffhanger. Otis is back at school but he’s got different things on his plate. He’s grown up a bit and become slightly more sassy. It’s been fun to portray his newfound charisma. Don’t worry, though, he’s still tragically awkward too.

“Their [Otis and Maeve’s] relationship continues to develop in season three. We also explore why Otis was running his sex therapy clinic in the first place. Was it just to be close to Maeve or does he get fulfilment from helping people?”

What happened in Sex Education season two?

sex education season three

If you need a Sex Education season two recap, then here is an extremely brief summary:

Jean finds out that Otis has been making money via the sex therapy clinic and they have a bit of a barmy.

There’s the love triangle between Rahim, Adam and Eric – with it looking like Eric and Adam are together at the end.

Lily and Ola get together – woop!

Viv and Jackson have bonded and have a nice friendship going on.

There’s the horrible scene with Aimee on the bus where she is sexually assaulted, but then all the girls get on it at the end of the episode to help her with her trauma – still emosh about this.

Lily directs an alien sex version of Romeo and Juliet with all those penis and vagina costumes – iconic.

Mr Groff says he needs to take time off work after invading the stage telling everyone Jean’s brainwashed them with sex therapy.

Maeve dobs her mum into social services after Maeve’s new friend Joe finds paraphernalia in the caravan. Maeve’s mum and sister are taken off with social services.

Jean’s bloody pregnant!

The season ends with Maeve’s other new mate Isaac deleting a voicemail from Otis telling he loves her.

It ended on a cliffhanger, but here’s hoping Maeve finds out about that voicemail in Sex Education season three.

The release date for Sex Education season three on Netflix has not yet been confirmed. To make sure you’re the first to know, and for all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook. 

Related Sex Education stories recommended by this writer: 

We all have a story like Aimee, Sex Education just finally paid attention to it

Quiz: Which Sex Education boy would you get with?

Because you were all wondering it, which Sex Education character is your uni?